What's new

Auto Tailgate Struggling To Open

Accordaz

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda CRV 2.2 i-DTEC
I know it could be the strutts, but again it could be the microswitch; when I activate the fob button to open the tailgate, it makes all the sounds, and you can see it struggling to force outwards, but then it gives up; I can lift it fine, and press the button inside and it does go down as intended, so the question is, how can I get to the microswitch and then how to clean it? I want to eliminate this first, then the strutts unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Thanks!

It's the struts. They carry the weight of the whole door.

As a test, if full opened, does the bootlid drop a bit?

it's probably the motor mechanism itself, it needs greasing as part of the service and (speaking from personal experience) the dealers don't do it.

There's a thread in the DIY section a long time ago showing how to replace the struts, and IIRC you can just about see the motor mechanism in that thread. Also, if you remove the plastic trim from the top back of the inside (it pulls sway), you can see it all tucked away inside.

I got fed up with mine and I just open the tailgate the old-fashioned way.

edit: this problem crops up every now and again, there's another thread somewhere (not in DIY) with a diagram (or a link to a diagram) of the gubbins up in the roof behind the lining

freddofrog said:
edit: this problem crops up every now and again, there's another thread somewhere (not in DIY) with a diagram (or a link to a diagram) of the gubbins up in the roof behind the lining
yes, wondered what that odd lump was on the right side of the roof! Just have to find that thread you mention now! ;)

now dashboard tailgate light on and tailgate won't open now after I did an OBD scan! :blink:

It has to be a coincidence, an ODB scan can't cause a fault

If you read through that thread in #6 there are switches, and I did a kind of fault diagnosis on them. I reckon that the tailgate is slightly out of place, try jiggling it a bit (no joke).