What's new

autogearbox

E M Wynne

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001accord 1.8is
Gents,
Yesterday my gearbox locked me out...I could not get out off park...by chance I found the little insert on the side of the gearhousing & inserted a screwdriver & found a plunger...voila could now get my gears...this morning the same thing...so in with the s/driver & away we go ...in less than 100 yards the engine light came on & then D4 started to flash...lost some drive...no matter which gear I selected D4 continued to flash...turned round came home...has the box gave up the ghost...I have a cheap OBD2 scaner where is the socket for this car so maybe I can pull some fault codes. I don,t want to get rid of this car I,m starting to like it...if I was to convert to a manual box what type is best & if anyone has done this before what do I need to look out for.
Cheers Mutly.

Using an OBD code scanner wont give you anything for the gearbox as far as a i know. The best thing to do is not drive it at all until you have at least checked the gear oil level using the dipstick. Make sure you read the level correctly either when the car is cold or hot. It has markings on there I think. If not, then it should be done when warm, but confirm with the manual. Then I would strongly recommend a full flush of the fluid using only genuine honda fluid. Using anything else will possibly cause rough gear changes. The autos on these cars are said to be a weak point, but saying that, I had my accord for over 6 years, loads and loads of miles, and its been spot on.

As Saj has said mate, the auto box on these cars has always been an issue. If the fluid flush doesn't sort anything then it's had it mate. The reader won't give you any codes unless the fault with the box has damaged the engine.

An auto to manual is possible if you have the money. It's not cheap. Might be better off looking for another auto box from a breakers/scrappy.

The flashing D4 is the code.
You need to attach service check connector and interpret the code.
I can email you the pdf of the troubleshooting procedure if you need it.

1 to 9 are given by short flashes so 6 short is number 6 and a long flash is 10 so long followed by 4 short is 14.

If you manage to get the code let me know and I will let you know what it is trying to say.

Tony

The cheapest option if the 'box is dead is like Si said to go and get a used one from the 'yard. A manual conversion would be too much effort and you might have to chuck quite a lot of money at it, and then have to have your car re-registered as a manual.

The flashing D4 is the code.
You need to attach service check connector and interpret the code.
I can email you the pdf of the troubleshooting procedure if you need it.

1 to 9 are given by short flashes so 6 short is number 6 and a long flash is 10 so long followed by 4 short is 14.

If you manage to get the code let me know and I will let you know what it is trying to say.

Tony

Tony,
The PDF. would be great,
e-mail, emwynne45@hotmail.com.
I still want to know where the OBD. scan plug is on the 6th. gen. so I can address any other problems the car may have.
Cheers Eddie.

IF your car is sedan then OBD socket is on the passenger side of center console, at the bottom.

Here is photo of OBD location on euro type accord

try looking on similar location of yours ;)

IF your car is sedan then OBD socket is on the passenger side of center console, at the bottom.

Here is photo of OBD location on euro type accord

try looking on similar location of yours ;)
Thanks Linas, I got the ESM, from Tony B. it,s been a big help in understanding the electrics of this car...the problem with the box locking me out was only me not pressing the brake pedal to unlock the parking solinoid..no more problems...& the MIL & D4 flashing only happened once & nothing since...but things like that scare me...they do not happen for no reason...I,ll reset the box & also I have to still attempt TIN-MANS answer to my alarm problen on 40 amp. fuse 54..let you all know the outcome.
Cheers Eddie.

Thanks Linas, I got the ESM, from Tony B. it,s been a big help in understanding the electrics of this car...the problem with the box locking me out was only me not pressing the brake pedal to unlock the parking solinoid..no more problems...& the MIL & D4 flashing only happened once & nothing since...but things like that scare me...they do not happen for no reason...I,ll reset the box & also I have to still attempt TIN-MANS answer to my alarm problen on 40 amp. fuse 54..let you all know the outcome.
Cheers Eddie.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but, wouldnt the D4 and MIL light flash if the autobox was left in D4 when engine was stopped?

^^^That's a pretty good shout actually. I don't know the answer, but would make sense.

its impossible to get mill flashing if engine stopped on D4.
You can't take out key while not on P. I've just tried to do so and no mill nor D4 flashing then turned ignition on when on D4 or on P. It's definitely some kind of transmission malfunction. I've read some there that when mill is on and D4 flashes. D4 Light gives error code for malfunction of transmission. Don't know is it really true.