What's new

Automatic costs

DODGE1029

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
Hello could anybody explain to me why an auto gear box uses more petrol , i have a 2.4 exec and everybody mocks me for having a petrol guzzler because it is auto :(

Always driving the fluid flywheel even at rest, but only slightly heavier on fuel and I bet you are always first away from the lights, without even trying.

Plus they are slower than a manual equivalant as it looses power through the belts etc. I do myself prefer auto but still choose to buy a manual as i'm worried of the auto box going wrong which it probably won't.
I also own a Prelude and thats an Auto with no problems what so ever.
I do recommend that you change the fluid regular

When i buy a car i always look and go through the dimensions and performance and economy this will tell me everything i need to now.Then compare manual to auto.

I get combined 29 mpg on my 2.4 auto exec. With fuel at the current prices l'm feeling hard pressed to justify my guilty pleasure of an automatic but it's brilliantly engineered - the most smoothest yet powerful auto I've ever driven!

Hello could anybody explain to me why an auto gear box uses more petrol , i have a 2.4 exec and everybody mocks me for having a petrol guzzler because it is auto :(
Then you, sir, are a discerning owner like myself ! Having owned three automatics over the last three years you couldn't "give" me a manual car. Enjoy !

C
Sorry, the three years should have been ten years !
C

I have just bought a 57 2.4 Auto Accord Tourer with ADAS.

Running to and from work gives me 26 mpg. Cruising on motorway at 70 mph gave me 35.8 (over 200 miles) at the weekend. Cruising at 80 gives me about 30mpg. This is all per the computer- I have not checked it's accuracy.

My old Accord couple (2001 2.0es manual) gave me 320 miles to the gallon. The 2.4 is 400+ to the tank.

Apparently both tanks are the same size (about £70).

Love the 2.4 and don't regret selling the coupe.

I averaged 37.7mpg over about 8000 miles in my Vectra which was an auto estate 1.9 diesel. Currently about 12 mpg less than the Pug.