What's new

Automatic locking

Alan33

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport cdti
The owners manual for my car states that it will auto-lock after about 30 secs if the drivers door or the boot haven't been opened. However opening the boot definitely doesn't disable it on mine, as I found out yesterday when I locked myself out (don't ask). BTW it took about one minute flat for the AA guy to get in. He did, however, say that it would've been a different story if I'd deadlocked it. Any ideas why mine locks again even if I've been in the boot? I'd really like it not to. Any input mucho appreciato.

Car is a 56 plate Sport.

The owners manual for my car states that it will auto-lock after about 30 secs if the drivers door or the boot haven't been opened. However opening the boot definitely doesn't disable it on mine, as I found out yesterday when I locked myself out (don't ask). BTW it took about one minute flat for the AA guy to get in. He did, however, say that it would've been a different story if I'd deadlocked it. Any ideas why mine locks again even if I've been in the boot? I'd really like it not to. Any input mucho appreciato.

Car is a 56 plate Sport.
Hi Alan
If I am understanding your post right, my 04 CTDI Exec does the same. If I open all the locks and only go to open up the boot, after about 30secs, even while I am in the boot, the doors lock. I have often reminded myself not to put the keys down in the boot, otherwise when I close it, I will not be able to get hold of the keys again. Seems to to be a normal function of these cars.

Just looked at my '05 Tourer.

Unlock and do nothing, re-locks after 30 seconds.

Unlock and open boot, stays unlocked.

Having read Road Detective's post I'm doubting myself now. Will have to recheck!

Having read Road Detective's post I'm doubting myself now. Will have to recheck!

Yep, mine stays unlocked once the tailgate has been opened.

Mine is deffo the same as road detective, even tho the manual states it should do as matt's. I wonder how you change it

my Facelift Tourer ex stays unlocked after opening the rear.

My pre-facelift tourer stays unlocked if you only open the boot, maybe you have a faulty boot light switch so the car doesn't know the boot has been opened??

I done the same thing in my previous car.
This was a 06 saloon and i locked the keys in the boot.Lucky for me i had a spare set at hand :rolleyes:

So is it a saloon thing? Would make sense as its separate from the car.

So is it a saloon thing? Would make sense as its separate from the car.
I will test this in my 8th gen but not with the keys in the boot tomorrow.
There is a switch in the glove box on mine that in the off position disables the boot.
So when you open the car with the fob the boot is still locked.To open it you need to press the boot button on the fob.

My facelift 06 saloon does exactly the same,i open the boot and the doors lock after about 30seconds,my friends pre-facelift done the same(he locked himself out once..lol)

Think Honda ***ume you keep hold of the keys and don't put them down. Same as being able to push driver door button down as long as the key's not in the ignition - like if its not in the ignition it must be in your hand.

Thanks for all the replies.

maybe you have a faulty boot light switch so the car doesn't know the boot has been opened??

I'd thought of this but the boot light goes on/off along with the boot-open indicator on the dash.

There is a switch in the glove box on mine that in the off position disables the boot.So when you open the car with the fob the boot is still locked.To open it you need to press the boot button on the fob.

There's a key-operated switch on the drivers' floor of mine which I think does the same.

Ok, so judging by all you guys' kind replies, it looks like it's a saloon thing - at least it's not just mine!

I've thought of a few solutions...

1 - (and the most obvious LOL) - Keep the keys out of the boot when I close it. - This may seem easy but, hey, I've locked myself out once already!
2 - Carry the spare key. - This isn't practical for me as the spare key is a remote-type fob so it's too big to add to my house-keys bunch, which I like to carry in my trouser pocket.
3 - Buy a new key blade (only the blade part) from Ebay, get it cut to fit the car, enlarge the pre-drilled hole at the top if necessary, and add this non obtrusive key to my house-keys bunch. Due to it's lack of width I won't have much leverage when turning the key but I'd like to think I could borrow a set of pliers or something if necessary. I also think the alarm will sound when the car is opened but at least it'll open.

What do you all think?

:)

When I bought the car I left my key in the boot and closed it.

I opened the boot with the key fob, put the key in the boot to pick up something, closed the lid and that was it.
lol
Had to break the rear door small window to open it.

A couple of years ago, I bought an aftermarket blade key, and transplanted the oem key internals to it.
I was left with the oem blade, that I hid in the car in a sealed bag, in a place that I will be able to reach even if the car is locked with the keys inside.
wink.gif

It won't start the car, but it wil open the doors!

My dear daughter got her scooter out of the boot 54 plate accord saloon. Closed it and left the keys in. Fortunately through a tiny gap in the window, we managed to get the door to unlock. :/

Not the best security feature!