What's new

Aux Drive Belt Diesel

davecmr

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Sport Diesel
How easy is it to get the drive belt off? I have a whining noise and suspect its from something that the belt runs or the idler/tensioner. Is it just a case of releasing the tension and then you can take the belt off?

Anyone got any pictures of how the belt runs? Could really do with a Tech manual for the car.

I knew about it when I first test drove the car, my local Honda dealer (when they did the oil change) said not to worry about it and let it develop, unless I wanted to pay them £xx/hour to take the belt of and tell me what it is thats getting noisey (sounds like bearings going in something). If its going to be a pain I'll just get a mate who has a garage to look at it, I know on my old Vauxhall you just put a spanner on the tensioner and moved it one way so the tension came off then you could pull the belt off. What I wanted to know is if its the same principal on the Honda and then if anyone had a picture of how the belt runs incase I forget and cant get it back on.

accord cn1 and 2 2004 - 2008 had an issue with the belt being over tight and putting strain on the alternator bearing. the idler pully was scrapped and a new shorter belt used, routing the belt a different way. i belive not all accords are affected but if you have got a noise from the belt area its the first thing i would check. has it got an idler pully?....if so suspect the alternator bearing. this applyed to crv and frv diesels aswell of the same year.

Exactly what I am having. Will have someone taking the belt off for me and checking the pulleys for almost free before the meet so I can then get the parts maybe and get it done here.

Can the belt be taken off easily? Or can it just be slackened enough to be taken off the main pulley to see if the noise is gone?

I've not had the chance to look at it yet, however I spoke to my dealer and they said my car was affected by the TSB and its not had the new shorter belt put on but cos its outta warranty i'd need to phone Honda UK up and see what they say. So going by the fact there's a TSB for the noise I'm pretty sure its going to be my alternator but i'll know for sure at the weekend.

What are Honda like with goodwill gestures? its only just 4 years old. Parts wise the prices are not too bad about £44 for the belt and £16 for the bearing I suspect its labour charges that will be bad as no doubt they wont be able to do it in an hour.

I am wondering about the belts on mine - Have you got an update on this one?

Well I'm running the shorter belt and a new alternator I've also replaced the tensioner pulley as that was deffo knackered. However it still sounds like a bag of spanners so am going to take belt off again and double check everything else again and also run the engine briefly without the belt on.

Needless to say this is doing my head in to the point where I am seriously thinking of getting rid!

Also a lot of Accords I've heard sound the same so this must be common but no one seems to know.

IS this noise present all the time? or only when cold, if it's the latter it could be the turbo "warming" up noisiest at about 1500rpm, when up to temperature no noise.

Its deffo not the turbo thats for sure. As for checking if you've got the shorter belt as beefy said above see if you have the idler pulley fitted.

Got a diesel as well. Had a noise from this area. It was the auto tensioner that had ceased. Check the tension on the belt and go from there B)

How often should the aux belts be changed?

I don't think there is a service interval on them, have a look at the belt and see if its cracking on the grooved part. I think there is another tell tale sign cj will be able to let you know.