What's new

Awful dipped beam!

pauljdh

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-dtec auto tourer
Ive only had my MY2006 Tourer Sport diesel 2 weeks but already I know that the dip beams are the worst Ive ever encountered on a 12V vehicle!

Can anyone agree and if so is there an upgrade available? The main beam is absolutely fine but the dip is awful.

My local dealer " cant tell me what bulbs are fitted" he thinks theyre H1. The lamps have that big round thick projector lens at the front, whilst the main is what I;d call a traditional bulb and reflector set up.

Any help appreciated!

Im loving the rest of the car so far except the annoying bongs and pings in the ****pit if I dare hesitate to renmove a key of fasten a seatbelt within a nano second of getting in or opening a door.

Thanks Chaps

Welcome to TA

Have a little search - lights have been done to death...

A member also tracked down the seatbelt bong source too - best mod EVER!

A little intro in the newbie section would be nice.

One thread will do dude.

Check out the treads on HIDS as this is a very well talked about subject.

Topic merged ;)

I'd say my projectors are different to olde fashioned lights, but not actually 'awful'.

If they're that bad you may have an underlying problem that fitting bigger / brighter bulbs won't fix.

Can you have a sit in another 7th gen and see if yours are par for the course before you open your wallet?

M@

Incidentally, mine aren't self levellers and the position-wheel works in the opposite fashion to my other car. I was puzzled why I wasn't illuminating road signs, until I twigged I'd been driving with them wound right down!

can someone make a definitive guide to HID kits and the various bulb upgrades you can get and make it a sticky so we can point the 3 million headlight related questions we get a week in the direction of said thread.

I too don't like the low beam. Compared to the HID's in the EP3 they are useless.

can someone make a definitive guide to HID kits and the various bulb upgrades you can get and make it a sticky so we can point the 3 million headlight related questions we get a week in the direction of said thread.

I am going to upgrade to HID's in my Accord Tourer and can try and make a guide with pictures of the installation if that would interest anybody?

Just change the bulbs, I'll wager yours are burned at the base. Mine were.

I took mine into Lookers in Derby - they tested them on the MOT rig for beam and alignment all OK. Rather worringly, they were:

Not sure which bulbs were in there?? the technicians asked each other but never agreed
Hadnt heard of Osram or similar, especially nightbreakers nor understand the concept of well engineered bulbs that draw the same current but give vastly significant results - quite alarming that

Thats main dealers for you - throttled by the factory, its OEM kit or nothing.

Anyway - can anyone confirm that I have H1 bulds on dip beam? If I can find out which bulbs I have I can do the rest

Thanks Chaps

Yes mate.... H1's

Hopefully - I got some extra bright jobbies from Halfrauds the other week and they did make a difference.

Philips lamp type guide:
http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/1_car_lighting/car_which_lamp_to_buy.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en

Philips lamp type guide:
http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/1_car_lighting/car_which_lamp_to_buy.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en

so with brand new nightbreakers installed theyre better but still awful - I may have been spoilt previously but these are shocking headlamps. As mines a Sport with no washers or self levelling I think a HID upgrade is out of the question but I can live with these.....

everythings been checked more than once and they are all working and aligned fine - normally hightbreakers would transform a lamp but not with these silly projectors.

Is there anything I can do, rebuild, alternative headlamp, conversion to a normal reflector etc etc.

Its either that or its going up for sale, sod the economy!

Paul

Paul is your car a facelift or pre facelift.
You could get a quote for OEM HIDS but it wont be cheap.

Paul is your car a facelift or pre facelift.
You could get a quote for OEM HIDS but it wont be cheap.
thanks Brett, err how do I tell if my car is pre or post facelift? Im not that familiar with the marque yet

Cheers

thanks Brett, err how do I tell if my car is pre or post facelift? Im not that familiar with the marque yet

Cheers
What year is your car Paul the reason im asking is in the facelift the light cluster is different.
Im sure the pre facelift the projectile lens are white and the facelift are more clear.Fahad done a mod on his old car and changed the light cluster for a facelift.
It was not for light output on the normal beam but the look.
But im thinking Honda might have improved the design of the lens for better light output.

What year is your car Paul the reason im asking is in the facelift the light cluster is different.
Im sure the pre facelift the projectile lens are white and the facelift are more clear.Fahad done a mod on his old car and changed the light cluster for a facelift.
It was not for light output on the normal beam but the look.
But im thinking Honda might have improved the design of the lens for better light output.
its a late 56 plate

That'll be facelift....

Yep dan is correct it's a facelift so what I said goes out of the window

Hi all, I also agree a list of headlight bulbs to improve the not good dipped beams would be really usefull.
My 55 plate petrol tourer not as good as previous aerodeck model, have looked on halfrauds which tells me H4 when I enter reg no. I thought they were H1 which
ones are the right ones to buy?
regards john.

HIDs were the best mod I ever made to my Accord. Fitted mine myself, never needed adjusting, and never got flashed once in over a year of having them.

I think I bought them for £35. Money well spent.

HIDs were the best mod I ever made to my Accord. Fitted mine myself, never needed adjusting, and never got flashed once in over a year of having them.

I think I bought them for £35. Money well spent.

thanks - would you have details, specs, even piccies of what you did? Is yours an Ex or a Sport, as with new rules apparently cars without washers and self-levelling wont pass an MOT with HIDs....

Cheers

im running 35w HID's at the moment, but really am considering the slightly more expensive 55w kit.

the light output is ok but find it somewhat vague from the 35watters.

Has anyone on here fitted a 55w kit in their cars yet?

could you put a link were u got yours from and how long took to come as defo need hid now as gone through 3 bulbs since last week

forgot to mention last 3 bulbs osrham nightbreakers they make hell of a difference to the standard Bosch. Got 2 Bosch in at moment you dont even no lights are on there that bad