What's new

Back box delete - 2.4 saloon.

Richardwellsy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Dear All,

Has anyone removed their back boxes and replaced with straight pipes? As far as i'm aware you don't need backboxes to pass an MOT.

If anyone hasn't done something as radical, has anyone replaced just the backboxes to get a better sound? If so how did you do it?

I'm not wanting to replace right from the cat back and spend hundreds. I just want a bit of noise!!

Also been thinking about the possibility of removing the detachable towbar and having twin centre exit pipes?

Before anyone says it i know i'm mad haha

Any advice welcomed

Like your ideas, centre pipe exit would look unique.

I have you considered just removing the secondary boxes and keeping the back boxes?

Fit a cold air full ram induction kit.
This will give you all the noise your after.
In Vtec the noise is mind blowing

Not a bad shout iron man, would this make it drone loads though when you are sitting at a constant speed?

I used to have a classic mini which had a straight through pipe and backbox and the drone was awful!

Brett i've got a K&N airfilter on at the minute which does sound fairly decent but want a bit more!

Videos required if you do this. fair few videos of the midboxes removed on youtube but none with backbox delete only.

More on this for those who are interested.

Took off the rear bumper over the weekend to have a look what is going on with the towbar.

I'm going to grind the towbar off of the rear bumper beam hopefully this weekend.

Also took off the seemingly pointless plastic cover that goes underneath the wheel well and ripped off the heat shields above the back boxes which were about falling off anyway!

Plan of action is to make a twin centre exit upswept straight pipe exhaust. Planning to make the cut before the exhaust splits into 2 sections, then weld in a 1 into 2 adapter and then from there have the straight pipes. The cat and 2 middle boxes will be left in place.