What's new

bad spark plug

Today i was replacing my spark plugs, and i found this?!

Well the spark plug is definitely fouled - it is the correct type of plug for your car? For the 2.4 they need to be Iridium.

As Jon has said, it looks like the combustion mixture is running rich, but with PGM-FI it's difficult for the car to run rich unless there's a sensor off.

Well the spark plug is definitely fouled - it is the correct type of plug for your car? For the 2.4 they need to be Iridium.

As Jon has said, it looks like the combustion mixture is running rich, but with PGM-FI it's difficult for the car to run rich unless there's a sensor off.

Yes it's iridium, NGK IZFR6K11. I have replaced all 4 of them now.

No, only this one spark plug. I'm running on LPG, and i had problem with lambda sensor.

Is this on cylinder 2? If you replace this spark plug only, perhaps it's not secure correctly, etc.

It's on cylinder 1, from the right.

From the right? As it nearest the timing chain or clutch?

Reason I ask is cylinder 2 runs hotter in these engines, but the plug doesn't look burnt. Since you've replaced all sparks does the new spark plug appear to be fouling? Since you're running LPG could it be a leaky injector?

From the right? As it nearest the timing chain or clutch?

Reason I ask is cylinder 2 runs hotter in these engines, but the plug doesn't look burnt. Since you've replaced all sparks does the new spark plug appear to be fouling? Since you're running LPG could it be a leaky injector?

Nearest to the clutch. Could it be bad piston rings, or cylinder?

Nearest to the clutch. Could it be bad piston rings, or cylinder?

Ok, that's cylinder 4. The plug looks "wet" with oil and other carbon deposits. Yes, it could be piston rings, but the only way to confirm this would to do a compression test to see if you are losing pressure. Let's start with the simple things. Are you buring oil?

Ok, that's cylinder 4. The plug looks "wet" with oil and other carbon deposits. Yes, it could be piston rings, but the only way to confirm this would to do a compression test to see if you are losing pressure. Let's start with the simple things. Are you buring oil?

Yes car is burning oil. 1l on 500miles....

Yes car is burning oil. 1l on 500miles....

Ok, then that would explain that the fouling :D

So it looks like oil is leaking into cylinder 4 and get caught up in the combustion cycle leading to the fouling of the plug. Now, it could be any of the following:

1. Valve Seals
2. Piston Rings
3. Cylinder Bore lining
4. Piston itself

Anyhow, you'll need to get a compression test done on Cylinder 4 to see if it's down on compression, it should be minimum 930 kPa (9.5 kgf/cm2, 135 psi) at 250rpm.

Ok, then that would explain that the fouling :D

So it looks like oil is leaking into cylinder 4 and get caught up in the combustion cycle leading to the fouling of the plug. Now, it could be any of the following:

1. Valve Seals
2. Piston Rings
3. Cylinder Bore lining
4. Piston itself

Anyhow, you'll need to get a compression test done on Cylinder 4 to see if it's down on compression, it should be minimum 930 kPa (9.5 kgf/cm2, 135 psi) at 250rpm.

I will check compression. What if compression is ok?

I will check compression. What if compression is ok?

If compression is ok, then the oil isn't getting in via the rings or valves. But it could be via the value seals. Get the compression test and go from there! Burning 1 litre / 500 miles is waaay too much and would indicate a leak or buring.

If compression is ok, then the oil isn't getting in via the rings or valves. But it could be via the value seals. Get the compression test and go from there! Burning 1 litre / 500 miles is waaay too much and would indicate a leak or buring.
I will do that. Thank you very much. :D

I have done the comprssion test, and it's not good for the 4th cylinder.
It seems that the cylinder head is deformed...