What's new

Battery KeyFob & Stuck Screw

Sphinx

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 2.2i CTDi EX
Hi,

I wanted to change the battery in my keyfob but I can get the little screw out.

I have a 20 piece precision screw set so I made sure I had the correct fitment and I dont chew the head the screw off.

But try all I might - the screw is not coming out - now the head is slightly starting to round off - so I have stopped at this point.

Is this a common problem?

Also does anyone know which battery it takes and how do I take this screw out?

Thanks.

you could try a tiny bit of wd 40.put some on a rag and wipe over the screw head to get some down . It this fails you might have to drill out the screw and buy a new body for the key.

I couldn't remove mine either (both keys) What i did was prized the bottom of the key with a screwdriver and it popped off over the little screw. Sounds drastic but works. I then unscrewed the screw that was left half hanging out of the bottom half of the clam with a pair of pliers, Replaced the battery put the 2 sides of the clam back together and put the screw back in with a screwdriver (once out it is a hell of a lot easier to get back in). I was expecting to have to use glue or something but it turns out that the screw works fine despite being pulled through the plastic hole if you know what i mean.

You will just end up threading the screw trying to get it out with a screwdriver, I nearly did on one key.

Thanks - do you remember which battery it was?

Thanks - do you remember which battery it was?

Sorry bud, i don't know. I took the internal fob thing with me to Timpsons and opened the little box thing there and the guy there changed it.

you could try a tiny bit of wd 40.put some on a rag and wipe over the screw head to get some down . It this fails you might have to drill out the screw and buy a new body for the key.

Tut Tut Brett WD 40 also cleans did you know ;)

magic stuff that. i hear it protects too.

mine was the same, used proper watch screwdriver too but ended up rounding the screw head and had to drill it out

Had the same problem when I wanted to replace my battery, so I used a hand drill to take the top off the screw. Did not want to use an electric drill in case I drilled too far. Small bit of glue to put it back together again, just enough so that on the next battery change it comes apart easy.

Update - After various efforts had no choice but to drill the head.

This is what I did - (anyone following this - do so at your own risk!)

You have to do this very slowly and take your time - remember is almost £200 for a new key!!

DSC09916Custom.jpg

I used a small flat blade screwdriver to widen the surrounding around the head. This made it easier to access.

Important - DO NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!!!! I cannot stress how important is it to take your time.

Once you have drilled about 1mm keep checking to see if the head can come off. I used an end of a long nail or anything sharp should do.

DSC09918Custom.jpg

Once the head is off the bottom case can be separated from the top casing - it just held on by clips. Once the bottom casing is off you are faced with this :

DSC09919Custom.jpg

The middle then comes out and you can replace the battery.

As you can see the rest of the screw is still there - but I will just replace the battery and tape it together (although it should be ok without the tape).

Hope this helps anyone out there.

CR1616 coin cell in mine.

Found the retaining screw to be held in (tightly!) with blue threadlock.

Heat the screw head with the tip of a fine soldering iron for several seconds to soften the lock (without melting the case!) then unscrew (using correct size cross point driver) a couple of degrees. Screw back in a little. Unscrew a little more. Screw back in a little. Repeat (applying more heat as required) gradually unscewing all the way. Eventually, screw came out without damage and easy to put back in.