What's new

Battery light on

Timberfake

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord v-tec s
Just got in car and battery light is on.. multireader reads on battery just under 9 when car of and on...
Help? Meant to bbe driving to wrexham tomorrow ...

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Dials not working
3e18c9b26d178745ad81e6223c4fac19.jpg

Revs going mental up and down at bottom end..

That's the check engine light and the VSA light on in the photo - you could do with reading any fault codes the car has stored in the system.

Jon_G said:
So you can still start the engine? It looks to me like the alternator may have expired.
Car won't start now just fast ticking..

I experienced the same thing while driving and the car died. I was on the motorway way, battery light came on, followed by vsa lights, then all the dials died, i was roughly doing 70mph according to the sat nav but car was showing zero, radio and lights died out then eventually the car started spitting.
Pulled over to the hard shoulder, checked the car, the battery was flat. Had to recover the Accord.
Diagnosis was the alternator, had one supplied and fitted for £140, refurbished unit.

Cliffordski said:
That's the check engine light and the VSA light on in the photo - you could do with reading any fault codes the car has stored in the system.
It is ABS and vsa light lit up...

I had this on my civic and Gen 6 accord and looked like alternater but turned out to be battery.. checked battery condition hole in the top and its red so going to try new battery in the morning... fingers crossed.. if it is that will be my 3rd Honda its happened to...

DrSam said:
Just to add, don't jump start the car and attempt to go on your journey.
I've jumped it once to test it but no I won't be doing that for the journey ..

Timberfake said:
I've jumped it once to test it but no I won't be doing that for the journey ..

Jump will start it, I jumped mine and managed to make a 3mile trip to drop it to the garage. Used my other car to fully charge the battery.

On this alternators is common that diode plate die.
This happened to me also.
As you can see on the photo the diode is burned.
After rebuilt it should look like in the second photo.
In the third photo you can see what parts you need for the rebuilt. I did not take a photo of the bearings [emoji53]
a35f920f54c52e8edcea585d98601770.jpg
f0189d6fb0c9dfdc167f23e9d8d4d0b1.jpg
225db3fe175e324db574f77f5a442c8d.jpg

Jan Accord said:
On this alternators is common that diode plate die.
This happened to me also.
As you can see on the photo the diode is burned.
After rebuilt it should look like in the second photo.
In the third photo you can see what parts you need for the rebuilt. I did not take a photo of the bearings [emoji53]
a35f920f54c52e8edcea585d98601770.jpg
f0189d6fb0c9dfdc167f23e9d8d4d0b1.jpg
225db3fe175e324db574f77f5a442c8d.jpg
How much did the rebuild cost you?

DrSam said:
Any updates Timberfake?
Went got battery put it in fired her up. But battery light still on so I've had to get alternater and belt... but problem is my son went into hospital last night so have to try and fit it after and drive upbringing wrexham tonight or early hours of morning if I get it fitted.. how easy is it...???

Fingers crossed ill fit it ok and i can still go upto wrexham for 8:30 in the morning good job haven't booked the hotel yet...

StuH said:
You need to have a fully charged battery to test the alternator with a multimeter.
Depends what you're testing - if you get no difference at all with the engine on and off regardless of battery charge level you know it's not charging.

Timberfake said:
Went got battery put it in fired her up. But battery light still on so I've had to get alternater and belt... but problem is my son went into hospital last night so have to try and fit it after and drive upbringing wrexham tonight or early hours of morning if I get it fitted.. how easy is it...???

Hope your son gets better soon. I didn't take the it off myself, had a garage to do it.
It won't be too difficult to remove if you hands on. You'll need a tension wrench.

Timberfake said:

You should have it done by the time I type this reply!

freddofrog said:
where did he get an alternator on a Sunday ?
The one and only eurocarparts open that's nowhere near me which involved 2 trips 1 for the battery and 1 for belt and alternater.. a lift and a borrow of a car and mad visits to hospital in amoungst it...

Timberfake said:
The one and only eurocarparts open that's nowhere near me which involved 2 trips 1 for the battery and 1 for belt and alternater.. a lift and a borrow of a car and mad visits to hospital in amoungst it..
well done, grand effort there :)

Just pulled up outside house and I think my power steering is making bit of a noise when turning the steering wheel.. the fluid level is ok is there anything to look out for...??

With the engine running, turn the steering from lock to lock a couple of times. This will get the air out, if that's the problem.