What's new

battery rundown

chesjak

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-ctdi
Morning Guys

Twice now I have left the ignition on for about an hour on the diesel Accord and come back to a flat battery.
I have tested the battery and it is in good condition.
The only thing that I can think of that would run down a fully charged battery in that time could be the glow plugs still working even though the light on the dash says otherwise.

Is this possible and what is the situation as regards them. Do they stay on all the time as soon as the ignition is switched on or what.

If it is not this then has anyone got any idea as to what it could be.

Incidentally, the last time it happened, I turned the key and the engine would hardly turn. I left it for about half an hour and went back to try again before I put the charger on it and surprise surprise the car started with no trouble at all.

As I say this has only happened twice when I have left the ignotion on by mistake so I am also pretty sure that there is not a loos conection somewhere either.

Any help would be apreciated.

Regards

This is not unusual for our cars, but your battery is probably goosed now.

Hi Dan

What do you mean by ""This is not unusual for our cars ""

Do you like me, keep getting annoying little problems with your car then.

Regards

My advice is get another Battery form Honda.
Iv left my inside lights on all night before and nether had a problem.

The Accord is very heavy on the ol' power and the battery is not the highest of outputs.

Once you've run it down a few times they are not the same - many times we have had people post that their batteries have "tested" OK, but they always end up needing a new one.

The Accord is very heavy on the ol' power and the battery is not the highest of outputs.

Once you've run it down a few times they are not the same - many times we have had people post that their batteries have "tested" OK, but they always end up needing a new one.
Hi guys
Flat battery has been a problem I have experienced since I have had the car and have had the AA out several times each time the report was battery was flat but healthy i.e. charging rate was good and battery was excepting the charge, needing to resolve this problem I have investigated the reason for failure, but first the history of the problem, my wife and i often park up and listen to the radio while enjoying the vista's before us on the coasts of Devon and Cornwall, this can go on for several hours (2-3) prehaps, you would think that with only the radio on this should not pull the battery down but it does or so I thought, but actually when you have the radio on and the car parked you need the ignition key to be in the No1 position, this also makes available most of your luxury equipment available such as electric window boot opening heated seats sun roof SatNav plus many more, all these although you may not be using them are effectivly on standby and so putting an extra drain on the battery. The solution to the problem has four options 1. Run the engine for about 10 mins every 2hrs or 2. Carry jump leads and rely on fellow motorists. 3. Carry a Jump Start battery unit.(My option) 4. Call AA (note:- AA will not respond to a same fault call out within 28 Days,so I have read on their web site). As a rider to some of the comments made about battery condition, batteries like being worked (run down then charged) it does them no harm.

Why not use a portable radio?

one of the reasons accord batterys go flat quicker than others is because they have a constant live feed but that takes several weeks for a battery to go flat and you must have a naff battery because ive been listening to my music whilst cleaning my car for at least 5 hours and i have a sub and it starts everytime so just replace it they ent that expensive

one of the reasons accord batterys go flat quicker than others is because they have a constant live feed but that takes several weeks for a battery to go flat and you must have a naff battery because ive been listening to my music whilst cleaning my car for at least 5 hours and i have a sub and it starts everytime so just replace it they ent that expensive
Didnt know it had a constant live feed,but thanks for the info,maybe thats why bosch s5 battery was weak after a week of not driving it,but seems ok after honda battery put in...

I've noticed this too. I can drain the battery in the time it takes to wash and vacuum the car. I though it was just down to all the electrical equipment ie satnav, stereo screen, radio.....

But from other threads this seems to be an issue raised predominantly by diesel owners!

Would the glow plugs or something be drawing a lot of energy while the ignition is on but the engine is off??

Well after saying yesterday that my battery was ok since o brought the honda 1,i think i jinxed myself,lol,went to start it just now,and it just seems the baytery aint got enough cranking power,so the car is struggling to turn over...now i have not driven my car in 2weeks and its just been sitting in the shade on my drive(were i drive the trains to work)so am i right in presumming that the diesel owners need to take theor cars for a journey of at least 20min every 4-5 days?as this would help keep the battery live,as i had no problem when i use to drive the car nearly every other day...