What's new

Battey Replacement

That is amazing value!

And those OEM (Delphi/Johnson) batteries are pretty much the best you can get for the diesel Accord.

I've been given a new 80ah battery cheaply off a Toyota Avensis diesel the cars been scrapped. Mines 3 years old & it's a taxi so the battery has had a good life. This battery looks like it will fit but is the extra power safe as standard is only 70AH.
I'm tempted to try it any ideas ?

Thanks Shaun.

Back to basics. Can anyone tell me what type/number/size I need for my 54 plate 2.0 Exec Auto petrol Tourer. The Honda battery is just over 2 years old and has failed, which I find shocking (no pun intended). Part number is 31500-ST3-111HE
Searching for the item number online doesn't bring up a "you had this - you can fit this" type of idiot guide. Halfords told me that it's this type/size:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-12v-silver-battery-hsb053 which looks the same as the Honda.
Can I only fit a 053 or is there a higher CCA option? Best I can see at a glance is 45Ah/440A (CCA) for £54 (del'd) from Tayna. Both of those seem to be Calcium.
Any recommendations for or against these or any other? I'm jumping off a Range Rover battery at present, so barring back failure, I can wait a couple of days for delivery.

Over an hour at the dentist today (even if she is very lovely), left me feeling unable to bother any more about searching the interweb. So I went back to Halfords and got the only one that suited. Yuasa HSB053, 48AH and 430A (CCA), with a 5 year warrantee. Normally £75 but as someone here mentioned price match, I had a look and the lovely people at thebatteryshop.co.uk had it up for £49. Bless 'em. I think Halfords should have added the delivery cost of £8, but didn't, so I left sort of smiling. In a lop sided, drooley sort of way.

In case anyone else, like I was, comes looking for the battery size etc. Details are: Yuasa HSB053, 48AH and 430A (CCA) but most important the size is 238x129x227mm.

Hopefully it'll last longer than the useless Honda battery did.

Yuasa are good batteries, I fitted one to my old Avensis and ran it for the last 3 years, when I sold the Avensis I switched the Platinum plus one that came in my Accord for the Yuasa.
I think the 5000 series have a 5 yr guarantee.

Spot on, it does. Forgot to mention that. It's just nice, after 4 days of getting the Range Rover battery out of the back, to be able to behave like a normal car owner again.

Am I right in thinking that the Honda had a 3 year warranty? If so, will have a look for the receipt and give them a rocket. Any chance of a replacement, do you think? I can always alternate them both or sell it and give the money to Macmillan/Hospice of the Valleys.

shaun75 said:
I've been given a new 80ah battery cheaply off a Toyota Avensis diesel the cars been scrapped. Mines 3 years old & it's a taxi so the battery has had a good life. This battery looks like it will fit but is the extra power safe as standard is only 70AH.
I'm tempted to try it any ideas ?

Thanks Shaun.

Nope!!!! It don't fit only by half inch though unless you move out the plastic tray which is not a good idea so best stick to stock size.

Hi has anyone managed to fit the larger 60Ah battery ? I'm just concerned about the width at 173/5mm with the OEM air box in the way. Will it fit at a push or any suggestions from those who may have fitted a 60Ah one. My 2.4 TS is struggling to fire up when warm when I've had the ICE + AC and everything else running hence the pref to fit a larger capacity battery.

Blanco808 said:
Hi has anyone managed to fit the larger 60Ah battery ? I'm just concerned about the width at 173/5mm with the OEM air box in the way. Will it fit at a push or any suggestions from those who may have fitted a 60Ah one. My 2.4 TS is struggling to fire up when warm when I've had the ICE + AC and everything else running hence the pref to fit a larger capacity battery.

Struggling when warm? Usually you notice a weak battery more when they're cold as the engine is stiffer to turn over. However if you want to upgrade the original battery id look at an agm type myself as they can recover much quicker from heavy drain than a normal battery can. As for brands I'd recommend yuasa to anyone. Very good batteries.

That being said if you're doing a lot of shorter journeys plus maybe a lot of stop starting than you might just need to take your current battery off and give it a charge up on a mains battery charger. Saves you a few quid :)
It's odd you're getting problems when it's warm though and not cold. That to me says it's something other than the battery tbh. I mean if you've got problems when warm they should be a lot worse next morning when the engines cold again.

Also check the Bluetooth module if its fitted, that can drain a battery quickly when they fail.

Thanks for the replies. I've replaced the battery for a Yuasa 48Ah as the larger 60 or 80Ah ones would just be to wide with the standard airbox in the way.The battery did need replacing, but it was not the cause of the issue. The alternator and the starter were reconditioned at around 70k, although i'm now on 103k, so I'm thinking either coils or plugs may need swapped out as the issue is still there. Strange when it's absolutely fine starting from cold.