What's new

Bearing Noise

S60

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 8 gen
Hello folks

Im getting a bearing noise from the front of the car. Sounds like a wheel bearing issue. Gets worse at 40 and 60mph. Ive jacked up the car and checked all the wheels for play - none. Additionally when i had the car jacked i spun the wheels to see if i could hear any bearing noises - nothing. Ive rotated the wheels front to rear to eliminate any wheel/tyre issues.

Problem ive now got is trying to work out which bearing it is that needs replaced. Were due to take a trip to devon in 2 weeks so will be putting about 1000 miles on it over a week so i need to get this sorted before then.

Any tips on how to diagnose what bearing it is other than sticking it in to the main dealer?

A tip that I've always used is to find an area with plenty of space where you can get up to speed, whether this be an industrial estate or a quiet wide road.

Build up speed and then swerve left to right over and over. You should, hopefully, hear the noise get worse/better as you put more force on the affected bearing.

If the noise gets worse when you swerve left, it's your right bearing. If the noise gets worse when you swerve right, it's your left.

This method has worked countless times for me.

Generally speaking, left bearings go first due to the abuse that roundabouts have had on the bearing over time.

Try and see if this method helps and let us know :)

A bearing noise will markedly increase/decrease in noise while cornering at a constant speed, as the vehicle weight moves onto/away from that side of the car. So if the noise increases whilst cornering left, then it's a bearing on the right hand side that's making the noise and vice versa.

If the noise doesn't markedly increase/decrease whilst cornering, then it almost certainly isn't a bearing problem.

EDIT: Beaten to it, but at least we agree!

Weaving made no noticble difference - however the ferocity that i can weave the car at 60 mph is limited .

What I did do is jack up the front wheels individually and i can hear a grinding coming from the front right.

Ive rotated the tyres again as i got some suggestion on another forum that the inside tyre wear can make a similar noise. This has improved it a good bit but the noise is still there.

Im going with the thoery that the front drivers bearing is on the way out.

Anyone know the part number - i tried finding it on Lingshondaparts.co.uk but im not sure what i found was the correct item

PFKL649509

JOINT COMP., FR. LOWER BALL

£55.00

Even gentle cornering will make a big difference to the noise when it's a worn bearing, there's no need for ferocity! So I have doubts that it's a wheel bearing.

A lower ball is not a wheel bearing. I'd look it up for you, but I'm currently unable to post links.

Jon_G said:
Even gentle cornering will make a big difference to the noise when it's a worn bearing, there's no need for ferocity!

A lower ball is not a wheel bearing.
Ha within a minute with the initial response Jon!

And I agree with Jon entirely on the above

Jon_G said:
Even gentle cornering will make a big difference to the noise when it's a worn bearing, there's no need for ferocity! So I have doubts that it's a wheel bearing.

A lower ball is not a wheel bearing. I'd look it up for you, but I'm currently unable to post links.

If not the bearing any suggestion as to what it could be?

Dont rule out tyre noise scott , the tread pattern can make a huge difference to the road noise ..., especially if one has become stepped . What type of tyres are tou running in my expierience ones with a symetrical pattern are noisier ie nakangs or similar ?

In post #1 you said there was no noise when spinning the wheels, but in post #4 you mentioned a grinding noise from the front right... is the problem intermittent, or maybe getting worse?

Grinding from the front right could be the disc splash shield either rubbing or having a stone trapped in it? Or maybe a ridge of corrosion at the edge of the disc catching the pads?

8thgenfan said:
Dont rule out tyre noise scott , the tread pattern can make a huge difference to the road noise ..., especially if one has become stepped . What type of tyres are tou running in my expierience ones with a symetrical pattern are noisier ie nakangs or similar ?
Falken Ziex 914's on the front and 912's on the rears

Jon_G said:
In post #1 you said there was no noise when spinning the wheels, but in post #4 you mentioned a grinding noise from the front right... is the problem intermittent, or maybe getting worse?

Grinding from the front right could be the disc splash shield either rubbing or having a stone trapped in it? Or maybe a ridge of corrosion at the edge of the disc catching the pads?
Post one was spinning the wheels by hand Post 4 was the car on an axle stand and driving the wheel to 40mph. At 40 mph the grinding noise started.

Jon_G said:
Possibly the RH driveshaft then... does the noise change when under heavy acceleration/deceleration?
No load either way doenst change it. Accelleation decelleration or coasting in neutral with the clutch in the noise remains constant.

If its grinding, sticking caliper maybe?

I've had bearing like noise from old tyres, worn in a stepped pattern.

Scott a said:
No load either way doenst change it. Accelleation decelleration or coasting in neutral with the clutch in the noise remains constant.
Had my Father in law look at it tonight - Hes a mechanic - and he reckons both front bearings are shot. Which would explain why the loading left to right wouldnt make a difference to the noise. Will be calling holdcroft in the morning to order two new bearings.

How many miles has it done Scott.

I'm on 72k, no bearing problems yet.

I'm with Jon on this for both bearings to fail at the same time is so rare its unheard of.
The 1st time you rotated the tyres was this worse.
Then better when you swapped back to the original way?
If so I'm betting its inside wear on your rear tyres.
It's very hard to tell if a bearing noise or tyre noise is coming from.
You might think its the front but can often be the back

brett said:
I'm with Jon on this for both bearings to fail at the same time is so rare its unheard of.
The 1st time you rotated the tyres was this worse.
Then better when you swapped back to the original way?
If so I'm betting its inside wear on your rear tyres.
It's very hard to tell if a bearing noise or tyre noise is coming from.
You might think its the front but can often be the back
richsprint said:
If its grinding, sticking caliper maybe?

I've had bearing like noise from old tyres, worn in a stepped pattern.
The noise was worse when the rears are on the front. We did the bearings and the drivers side was a bit worn. There was a ton of grease came out of so I think it had been running a bit dry.

Noise wise it's better but I'm still getting a bit noise from the rear. I'm not getting the vibration through the steering any more when it makes the noise.

Interestingly I do have wear in a stepped pattern on the inner edge of the rear tyres. Rich you mentioned you had this previously. Did you get to the bottom of what was causing it? What tyres were you running? Regardless sounds like I'm going to have to replace the both rears but presumably if I don't sort the cause of the wear it will repeat itself.

Inside wear is your alignment out and needs checking.
I had the same and my rear camber was out of spec so have ingalls adjustable cambers fitted now

brett said:
Inside wear is your alignment out and needs checking.
I had the same and my rear camber was out of spec so have ingalls adjustable cambers fitted now
Sat currently in quick fit as they check the Geo and fit two new tyres. Ive got a 5 hour drive today and a 9 hour drive next week so have to get it sorted. I suspect it will be camber. Last time they checked it it was running negative. However the rears have done 30k and been on a year and a half. That's probably decent for a set of tyres.

How much were the adjustable control arms out of interest?