What's new

Best oil to use in a CL9

S

Subtronics

Hi guys,

I don't need anything fancy, but don't want bog basic. Engine done 95k, so just going to do a quick oil change, then a big service at 100k. What would you guys recommend? Ordered a genuine Honda oil filter.

lubetechshop is good value and you can get a discount code from one of the moderators here

I wouldn't use 5W 40 as it's thicker so it gives less protection during warmup which is when most engine wear occurs

my accord is on around 130k and was using fully synthetic 5w40 and switched to fully synthetic 0w30 last winter, both from Lubetech (I change my oil every 6 months). I cannot really notice much economy or performance difference between the 2 oils asides from 0w30 being used up quicker than 5w40. I will be switching back to 5w40 once i have finished the 0w30 barrel. I would suggest try 0w30 if you dont race your car much, as in theory you should get better start up protection, but if you notice the oil being used up at a rate faster then you desire, then try switching to 5w40. I think ultimately as long as the oil is fully synthetic, the choice is what works best with you.