What's new

Binding Brakes (again!)

GordyC

Members
Reaction score
Car
53 Accord Sport CTDI
Earlier this year I had to replace the front offside brake caliper due to it binding. I replaced it with a refurbished caliper and all was good.

Over the last week I noticed a slight vibration coming from the rear offside....shortly followed by the unmistakable smell of roasting hot brakes. A quick check of the alloy wheel confirmed my suspicions when it was hot to the touch and pouring a little water onto the brakes had me in a cloud of steam.

It seems binding brakes is a common problem that haunts most older MK7s. My car is a 53 plate diesel Sport with 100k on the clock.

Oddly, I've just tightened the handbrake today as the lever was almost in the vertical position when on. I noticed that the clamp which joins the handbrake to what I ***ume to be the rear brakes, was favouring the nearside (i.e. the nearside cable tightens first followed by the offside). I tried to straighten it but it keeps favouring the nearside cable. I park on a slight hill and it is clear that it's the rear nearside that's holding the car when the handbrake is on.

I'm guessing that these two issues are linked.

The car is booked in with my trusty indy next week so I'll let you know how I get on.....no doubt another replacement caliper.

Well got the bad news today - rear offside caliper needs replacing and the rear nearside won't budge with the wind back tool so it needs replacing too.

That's all calipers except the front nearside now replaced in the last 6 months. The car is now beginning to cost.

As an aside, got the fuel filter replaced too as it was an aftermarket one that was fitted before - I had the engine occasionally going into limp mode under hard acceleration which would clear after turning the engine on and off a couple of times. Hopefully that'll be that problem fixed too.

I'm now at the stage when I look at the car and swear under my breath. Hopefully it'll pass.....

£358!!!! Jesus.

What a difference in the brakes though!

Hopefully a good wash and polish will put the Accord back in my good book cause right now I ain't talking to her! Lol