What's new

Binding brakes

Davemission

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th gen 1.8 Sport
Hiya guys - I need to pick your collective brains with a brake binding problem on my 1.8 Sport. Does anyone know of a common fault I should look for first? I suspect the front ones are the culprits because the wheels feel hot after a drive. The problem isn't really bad at the moment but its certainly noticeable. If allowed to coast out of gear, the car will eventually stop quite abruptly - as though the handbrake has been applied. I'm going to need to get the wheels off the ground and see what sticking I guess, but any advice would be welcomed! Cheers Honda Chums

Could be a corroded piston, jammed slide pins or failing brake hose.

The hot wheel is a good indicator but get the wheels off the ground and see if they spin freely by hand.

My bet is on the rubber (what was the name for it again?) that seals the pistons. Slowly deteriorated causing some rust build up and restricting piston movement. You can order some cheap service kit online and sort it out yourself. I did it for the first time weeks ago, not a big job. The longest part was thoroughly cleaning the caliper and piston to perfection :) Dan

My bet is on the rubber (what was the name for it again?) that seals the pistons. Slowly deteriorated causing some rust build up and restricting piston movement. You can order some cheap service kit online and sort it out yourself. I did it for the first time weeks ago, not a big job. The longest part was thoroughly cleaning the caliper and piston to perfection :) Dan

X2
I had the rear ones already done B)

Oh, I guess he is referring to the "square cut seal"