What's new

Bluetooth/Hands Free and Voice Recognition System

maxsmummy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord C-DTi 2.2
Please be gentle with me, as I have just joined and this is my first post!!

I have a 2006 Accord Tourer Cdti Exec 2.2 and for the last couple of years, something has been draining the battery if the car is not driven for a day. I fitted a new Bosch battery 18 months ago, but still the same problem, so I now have to get up at 5.30am every day to check if the car will start - if not, I have enough time to charge it up via a mains charger in order to get to work. It has been checked by the RAC and AA, who both say there is something causing a slight background drain and also by an auto electrician, who said there was no drain.

Today, I took it into my Honda dealer, who did a diagnostic check and said no drain on the battery. I asked him to check the bluetooth (having seen on here that several people have had problems with this). He did and came back saying that the bluetooth was, in fact, causing a slight drain, so I asked him to disconnect it, as I don't use it. I asked if it would affect the voice recognition system for sat nav, audio, aircon,etc and he said it wouldn't. However, it has and the only response I get from voice recognition now is "Pardon", "Please repeat". Plus, my cd player is now unresponsive.

So, after droning on and on in order to give some background, can anyone please tell me if bluetooth (is that the same as HFT?) and voice recognition are connected or separate? If the two rely on each other, is there any way to disable bluetooth without it affecting voice recognition?

HELP!!!!!!

Many thanks

Cat

If he has just pulled the HFT fuse out, then I suspect that that has cut the power to the Mic as well.

Welcome to the Forum BTW :D

Please be gentle with me, as I have just joined and this is my first post!!

I have a 2006 Accord Tourer Cdti Exec 2.2 and for the last couple of years, something has been draining the battery if the car is not driven for a day. I fitted a new Bosch battery 18 months ago, but still the same problem, so I now have to get up at 5.30am every day to check if the car will start - if not, I have enough time to charge it up via a mains charger in order to get to work. It has been checked by the RAC and AA, who both say there is something causing a slight background drain and also by an auto electrician, who said there was no drain.

Today, I took it into my Honda dealer, who did a diagnostic check and said no drain on the battery. I asked him to check the bluetooth (having seen on here that several people have had problems with this). He did and came back saying that the bluetooth was, in fact, causing a slight drain, so I asked him to disconnect it, as I don't use it. I asked if it would affect the voice recognition system for sat nav, audio, aircon,etc and he said it wouldn't. However, it has and the only response I get from voice recognition now is "Pardon", "Please repeat". Plus, my cd player is now unresponsive.

So, after droning on and on in order to give some background, can anyone please tell me if bluetooth (is that the same as HFT?) and voice recognition are connected or separate? If the two rely on each other, is there any way to disable bluetooth without it affecting voice recognition?

HELP!!!!!!

Many thanks

Cat

Thanks, Dan

So, are the HFT/bluetooth and Voice Recognition System linked? Is there any way to disable bluetooth without disabling Voice Recognition?

Many thanks

You got me there.

I am not sure if the Bluetooth module (behind the AC display) can be unplugged whilst leaving the Mic powered.

If you have a search for the threads about fitting the XCarlink you'll see how to access it. It isn't that hard really.

Depends what matey boy at Honda did I suppose.

Whilst I'm not doubting the Honda technician who stated that the Bluetooth is causing a drain, I would think the problem needs investigating a bit further. It cant be just the Bluetooth, otherwise every single similar Accord in the UK would be suffering from flat batteries every day :).

I also have same problem with battery drain. Did you manage to find the source of your problem?

Perhaps delete the bluetooth details for your phone on the car's hft system? It's a voice command.

My hft has never worked since I have had the car so I disconnected it yesterday I will try and do a voltage leak test next weekend

Ok bare with me - Ive had problems with a parasitic draw on the battery and after reading various posts about this problem, I came to the conclusion it must be the HFT module however I have not as yet confirmed or unconfirmed this. What I did know for sure was the hft had never worked since buying the car 5 months ago !

Anyway looking on Lings website and discovering they wanted £1780 + VAT for a HFT module I started looking on ebay but they wanted £225 for a second hand one with no guarantee to how long that unit would last, I thought there must be a cheaper option. I came across this site after putting into google the IC number stamped on the back of the HFT unit.

http://tl.acurazine....=792642&page=13

which led me to this link- http://api.viglink.c...138218462282311

So this was what I did last night. I Reinstalled the unit this morning and hey presto HFT system now fully functional.

Don't know as yet if this has cured battery drain problem I will keep my eye on it and do a multimeter drain check when I get the chance to. I will report back if any news.

Resized to 40% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlarge

Resized to 40% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlarge

Resized to 53% (was 768 x 1024) - Click image to enlarge

Well the reflow is still all good and HFT unit working as it should be. It has cured the parasitic battery drain problem after leaving the car for seven straight days without use, the car started without any issues over the Christmas, new year period. I've not done a leak test but prior to doing the reflow and with a brand new battery the car would be completely dead after only 4 days!. So i'm happy that the HFT was the cause of the drain and is now all resolved. Thanks to this forum and I hope this information will help others. :rolleyes:

I also traced a battery drain problem to the HFT unit.
For the time being I have just unplugged the HFT.

@Revnik : Fantastic! Thank you for that. Could you provide any guidance as to where the boards can be found on a 2006 accord?

Thanks