What's new

bonnet release catch

alarm1979

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 type-s
Hi guys, went to check my oil today and pulled the release catch to open the bonnet and the cable snapped somewhere inside the engine bay.
I thought i could pull the wire with plyers but the cable just keeps on coming through so i think it must have snapped off near the bonnet latch.
Has this happened to anyone else? is there anyway of getting the bonnet open to have a look?
I fly out to Ibiza tomorrow so iwas wanting to give the car a once over before the journey to the airport.
Please help. :(

I have heard of this but not on a Honda or modern car.I think the fix was bruit force to open the bonnet and fix the cable.

ps-rescuetools.jpg

Hi guys, went to check my oil today and pulled the release catch to open the bonnet and the cable snapped somewhere inside the engine bay.
I thought i could pull the wire with plyers but the cable just keeps on coming through so i think it must have snapped off near the bonnet latch.
Has this happened to anyone else? is there anyway of getting the bonnet open to have a look?
I fly out to Ibiza tomorrow so iwas wanting to give the car a once over before the journey to the airport.
Please help. :(

Are you absolutely sure it's snapped?? Sounds very similar to my problem sometime ago but it was because the cable had slipped out of it's catch just in front of the bonnet release handle (beneath the interior fuse box- driver's footwell). May well be the same problem with yours as I also at first thought the cable had snapped. To check that this is the case with yours, open the fuse lid and you be able to see the cable attached to the bonnet release. If it has slipped out of the catch you will find that it will be very loose/slack, so just slip it back in- not easy to slip your finger in coz the space is tight. Once you have done that, pull the bonnet release (while holding the cable firmly in the catch with finger or flat head screw driver, to stop it from slipping out) and it should open the bonnet. The next step, will be to clean the bonnet latch ***embly (likely cause of the problem if full of thick dirt and grime) and lubricate all the moving parts including the pivot with a multipurpose grease. Keep this clean and lubricated and it should solve the problem.
No brute force or jaws of life required for this one.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Are you absolutely sure it's snapped?? Sounds very similar to my problem sometime ago but it was because the cable had slipped out of it's catch just in front of the bonnet release handle (beneath the interior fuse box- driver's footwell). May well be the same problem with yours as I also at first thought the cable had snapped. To check that this is the case with yours, open the fuse lid and you be able to see the cable attached to the bonnet release. If it has slipped out of the catch you will find that it will be very loose/slack, so just slip it back in- not easy to slip your finger in coz the space is tight. Once you have done that, pull the bonnet release (while holding the cable firmly in the catch with finger or flat head screw driver, to stop it from slipping out) and it should open the bonnet. The next step, will be to clean the bonnet latch ***embly (likely cause of the problem if full of thick dirt and grime) and lubricate all the moving parts including the pivot with a multipurpose grease. Keep this clean and lubricated and it should solve the problem.
No brute force or jaws of life required for this one.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Its defo not the catch at the fuse box, the wire is still connected to the handle but i can pull the cable and it just keeps on coming through from the engine bay, it must have snapped in there somewhere or the cable wouldnt keep coming through, im pretty sure if i kept pulling the cable then i would have the entire cable in the footwell.
Thanks anyway guys but its holiday time now, the Honda will have to wait for a week. :D

mine came out of its holder ages ago, i've hidden it and use 2 sets of pliers to open the bonnet. That way even with super locking, noone can pop the hood and run off with my £200 aem short ram intake, lol :lol: