What's new

Boot open warning light on AND partial keyfob failure curiousness

hewittjackson

Reaction score
Car
06' 2.4 i-vtec Ex
Hi all. Newbie alert!

I recently had my boot open warning light illuminate on the dashboard of my 2006 2.4 I-VTEC Ex, petrol manual Tourer. Curiously, this warning light didn’t show whilst sidelights or headlights were on, the warning light DID stay illuminated when the headlight controls were set to ‘auto’.

At about the same time the ‘lock’ function on the keyfob stopped working Curiously, the ‘unlock’ function and the ‘boot open/close’ function both continued to work as normal.

I replaced the keyfob battery with no improvement and I was ready to reset the boot ECU when BOTH faults disappeared simultaneously after maybe 10 days.

A day or two before these faults manifested the car’s main battery had gone flat due to the Bluetooth module current drain issue on fuse 6. I still have a 200mA drain on fuse 6 which I am managing until I get to the Bluetooth module. When I revivified the car battery the car’s alarm sounded unexpectedly a couple of times during the next day or two.

The boot open warning light and the partial keyfob failure issues appear to have rectified themselves (for now) but I wondered if anyone had any insight into the connectedness of these two issues and why both were so curiously nuanced.

Is it just the case that getting a flat battery confuses the vehicle’s ECUs?

UPDATE

The faults described below DID present again, a couple of times but proved transient.

However, I decided to remove the car alarm siren after the car alarm went off at 2AM and wouldn't turn off.

That seemed to solve the recurrent issue. The siren's on-board battery had evidently come to the end of it's life.

Hi all. Newbie alert!

I recently had my boot open warning light illuminate on the dashboard of my 2006 2.4 I-VTEC Ex, petrol manual Tourer. Curiously, this warning light didn’t show whilst sidelights or headlights were on, the warning light DID stay illuminated when the headlight controls were set to ‘auto’.

At about the same time the ‘lock’ function on the keyfob stopped working Curiously, the ‘unlock’ function and the ‘boot open/close’ function both continued to work as normal.

I replaced the keyfob battery with no improvement and I was ready to reset the boot ECU when BOTH faults disappeared simultaneously after maybe 10 days.

A day or two before these faults manifested the car’s main battery had gone flat due to the Bluetooth module current drain issue on fuse 6. I still have a 200mA drain on fuse 6 which I am managing until I get to the Bluetooth module. When I revivified the car battery the car’s alarm sounded unexpectedly a couple of times during the next day or two.

The boot open warning light and the partial keyfob failure issues appear to have rectified themselves (for now) but I wondered if anyone had any insight into the connectedness of these two issues and why both were so curiously nuanced.

Is it just the case that getting a flat battery confuses the vehicle’s ECUs?

Hi, would you be able to give a description of how to get to the siren battery? i'm having the same issue and believe that's the problem but currently not sure how to get to the siren battery. Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
B8

As you look into the boot from the rear the siren is behnd the right hand side panel. Take the panel off and you will easily see it.

As you look into the boot from the rear the siren is behnd the right hand side panel. Take the panel off and you will easily see it.
Thanks, I managed to get to the same conclusion by letting the alarm run and using my ears. Interestingly, the alarm runs very quietly for a short time after the main battery is disconnected, which is making me think the on board battery is causing the false triggering...shouldn't it run at full volume? Got a new battery on order now so let's see if it works!