What's new

Boot/Tailgate issues

Taffytim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.0
Ive read about others problems with their tourer boots and im fearing mine might be starting.

The car is an 03 plate tourer with 70k on the clock. Will this qualify for the extended warrant I've read about that Honda offer?

My problem is that sometimes when i open the boot it starts to open but before it gets 6 inches open it'll beep as if its been restricted then close again, if i try it again it'll then happily open. Sometimes when it does this i seem to hear a groan sound coming from the rear of the car, maybe in the hinge area. Why would it do this?

Hi
If the boot holds its position while fully opened then it must be the motor. Mine used to open fully but then would beep and close again. It was due to weak gas struts, they couldn't hold it upright. I would check out the motor mate, Dan

try oiling the hinges, if they are stiff they will put extra pressure on the motor making it think that somethings blocking it

Hi there, i had a similar issue and it ended up being the struts. basically they weren't able to hold any weight. once they were replaced all was good!! :D
hope this helps

Think mine is on the blink, reported some problems last week which sorted themselves after disconnecting the battery. It's done it again today but now won't close on it's own.

Fearing the worst it's booked in with Homda next week as the suggestion is this item is covered unto 100k and mine is about to roll over 99k!!!

Keep you posted.....

Si

try oiling the hinges, if they are stiff they will put extra pressure on the motor making it think that somethings blocking it

ok thats a good place to start, hoe do i get some white grease in there without it going all over the roof liner?

Think mine is on the blink, reported some problems last week which sorted themselves after disconnecting the battery. It's done it again today but now won't close on it's own.

Fearing the worst it's booked in with Homda next week as the suggestion is this item is covered unto 100k and mine is about to roll over 99k!!!

Keep you posted.....

Si

Please do, if this 100k is true then ive got time to play with, let me know what they say to you though.

Did you get any luck Sit?

I've called Honda and they are saying it is 100,000 miles but also it had to be 7 years old max.

This takes me out of it. Has anyone who has a car older than 7 years got Honda to do this for them?

My local mechanic thinks its the motors that are shot on the car as he says the motors will push the boot out and the struts will then take over to fully open it. As the tailgatge stays open by itself then i'm thinking that he is right!!

If this is true then i cant afford to fix it and this could be the beginning of the end of my accord, especially as someone keyed it all along the side (5 panels) a month or so ago. So fixing both problems is going to cost about the price of the car!!

Shame as i really like this car. Will continuing to use the boot but not using the opening motor have negative affect on it?

Taffytim said:
My local mechanic thinks its the motors that are shot on the car as he says the motors will push the boot out and the struts will then take over to fully open it. As the tailgatge stays open by itself then i'm thinking that he is right!!
yes, I can believe this mechanics statement, and that means my motor is shot as I have the exact same issue of it failing to push the boot outwards. Will have to source a second hand one from somewhere that will give a few months warranty on it! Thanks for the info, Taffytim!

I've had my tourer since it was 3yrs old. It had to have a brand new tailgate motor 3 mths after I bought it. Honda provided the part and I just had a small labour bill. Other than that, the only issues I've had is the tailgate motor needing to be realigned. This is has only happened twice. Blade Honda Gloucester have been very helpful getting it fixed :)