What's new

Bought another. Some questions

block

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Ex diesel saloon
Hi all.

Today I have bought a facelift 2.2 ex with 65k in the light blue/nearly silver colour. I bought it at BCA the same as the last one. It is an ex fleet vehicle with 6 non Honda stamps. Only things I noticed before the bidding started are as follows:-
1) No parking sensors
2) No coin holder under VSA switch, a tab is broken
3) Rear pads very low, discs rough
4) Broken headlight washer plastic
5) Flat battery
6) Hole in passenger seat

1) I wondered if they were standard. I didnt know. If so, has the car had some repair work at the back and an older bumper fitted. No obvious signs, all gaps equally spaced etc. I looked at a 2006 spec sheet online and cant figure out if parking sensors were standard.
2) As the coin holder lid tabs are integral to the entire dash, does anyone recommend a way of glueing the tab back in place to allow a lid to be replaced? Im guessing a bit of pressure is put on the tabs to get the holes in the lid to line up and slot in. Anyone removed this coin holder in the past?
3) Do the rear calipers need to be wound back in or can it be done in my garage? Or even on the car to negate the need to bleed the system? Are the discs actually fastened to the hub? I seem to remember some discs are held in place by the caliper and wheel. If it is fastened, are they just normal screws, hex heads maybe? Nothing too exotic.
4) Will try to source one from a scrappers. I guess they aint cheep from Honda, plus paint of course! Anyone changed one?
5) I hoped the 40 mile trip home would give the battery a little life, it hasnt. Dead immediately after turning the car off. Any online/offline good price recommendations would be appreciated.
6) I knew about this before viewing this car and have been told this can be rectified for about £150 by a car dealer friend.

The car was a grade 2, 1 being no work required. Apart from the above list, the car is nice, afew scratches/chips obviously, but it is over 4 years old.

When I recieved the buyers pack I found the spare key with a bodyshop key fob attached!!!! Some work been done but I cant see anything so I dont know what has been repaired.

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

Thank you all..

Hi all.

Today I have bought a facelift 2.2 ex with 65k in the light blue/nearly silver colour. I bought it at BCA the same as the last one. It is an ex fleet vehicle with 6 non Honda stamps. Only things I noticed before the bidding started are as follows:-
1) No parking sensors
2) No coin holder under VSA switch, a tab is broken
3) Rear pads very low, discs rough
4) Broken headlight washer plastic
5) Flat battery
6) Hole in passenger seat

1) I wondered if they were standard. I didnt know. If so, has the car had some repair work at the back and an older bumper fitted. No obvious signs, all gaps equally spaced etc. I looked at a 2006 spec sheet online and cant figure out if parking sensors were standard.
2) As the coin holder lid tabs are integral to the entire dash, does anyone recommend a way of glueing the tab back in place to allow a lid to be replaced? Im guessing a bit of pressure is put on the tabs to get the holes in the lid to line up and slot in. Anyone removed this coin holder in the past?
3) Do the rear calipers need to be wound back in or can it be done in my garage? Or even on the car to negate the need to bleed the system? Are the discs actually fastened to the hub? I seem to remember some discs are held in place by the caliper and wheel. If it is fastened, are they just normal screws, hex heads maybe? Nothing too exotic.
4) Will try to source one from a scrappers. I guess they aint cheep from Honda, plus paint of course! Anyone changed one?
5) I hoped the 40 mile trip home would give the battery a little life, it hasnt. Dead immediately after turning the car off. Any online/offline good price recommendations would be appreciated.
6) I knew about this before viewing this car and have been told this can be rectified for about £150 by a car dealer friend.

The car was a grade 2, 1 being no work required. Apart from the above list, the car is nice, afew scratches/chips obviously, but it is over 4 years old.

When I recieved the buyers pack I found the spare key with a bodyshop key fob attached!!!! Some work been done but I cant see anything so I dont know what has been repaired.

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

Thank you all..

Some answers mate.

1/ Parking sensors are an optional extra and not standard.

2/Not sure.

3/ Look in our diy section there is a step by step by Alan how to do this.

4/ You might be lucky and get one from a scrappy.

5/ Buy a Honda genuine battery if you do a search you will find out why ;)

6/ not sure on this one.

Cheers Brett.

Just another thought on the battery front. When I plugged the charger in, the remote central locking worked straight away, as though the battery was instantly charged to a decent level. As soon as it was disconnected, nothing. Looking in the handbook there is a fuse in the primary box labelled battery. I am hoping this is a blown fuse therefore the battery is not being recharged when the car is running. That make sense to anyone? Didnt get time to do anything else as it slung it down!
Cheers.

It might also be the alternator is the battery is not charging when running.
Have a search on these common things as there is a method of checking the outputs of battery and alternator.

There is a good chance that the battery is goosed (can you try another one on it?) if it wasnt charging when the engine was running then you should of had the alternator warning light on.

You need to get your multimeter out and do some proper tests on the battery.

You need to get your multimeter out and do some proper tests on the battery.
Ive heard of those!!!!!!!!!! I'll cadge one and re-read a post on here I saw. It looked like gobble-di-**** at first glance!

Cheers Dave, didnt think of that! Obvious really. Just looked at the price of alternators! Now I'm kind of hoping it IS the battery!!!!
Cheers.

Try swapping the battery its a good chance its that if its got a dead cell or something it wont hold enough power and your charger would be putting enough voltage in to be able to power the central locking. Like monks said get a multimeter and with car running check the voltage going to the battery cant remember off the top of my head what it should be but something between 12-14 volts springs to mind but I could be wrong.

Yup alternators aint cheap I had to buy one :(