What's new

Braided brake lines

MedicalFlyer

Members
Reaction score
Car
2000 Accord Saloon
Hi all,
Over the next couple of months I'm planning of getting a good pile of bits together to fit to the car. I've had it since October and have happily stuck 5k miles on it (was 84.5k). Short of the starter motor giving up the ghost nothing else too exciting has happened yet. The car goes and stops just fine and has been very well cared for in its past life. But I don't like knowing things haven't been done for a while (cam belt is 7 years old with 18k on it for example).

My plan is to get all the belts, water pump, coolant, brake discs, pads and fluid done at the same time and then see about the transmission and power steering fluids at some point. I try to stick to using Blueprint parts where I can as they generally just work™.
Oil, plugs, leads and filters have all been done at least once so it's on to the bigger bits n pieces.

Basically by the end of the year/MOT time I want the car mechanically solid and then start on the beautification at some point.

Along with giving the brakes a good overhaul I was wondering if it would be worth fitting braided lines and if anyone here had done so and could recommend any particular places to get them.
I've seen these for £80ish for all four which seems reasonable:
http://auto.helperformance.com/honda-accord-cg9-2-0-vtec-1999-2003
They also seem to sell through Amazon and eBay with decent feedback

Here's a gratuitous shot of my chariot while it was clean for a change:

Braided brake hoses are a good upgrade if you will be driving the car pretty hard. i.e track days and lots of spirited driving.
The braided part of the brake hose eliminates the spongy feel when the brake fluid increases in temperature and the brakes are worked really hard

However for normal daily use road cars it would be a pointless upgrade. It would be something that you would have to declare to your insurance and it would benefit that wouldn't be noticeable on a daily driven car.

It all depends on what you use the car for, but if you wanted to upgrade them good names to go for are:
HEL or goodridge

I have HEL ones on my 2.2 vti prelude as has stainless steel fitting ends as standard. Goodridge is extra for stainless ends.
I must say they make a hell of a difference when i take my car out on track days

Hope it helps

Thanks.
I don't drive the car hard (like an old woman in my own car) but I do drive it a lot so was thinking it might be worth it. Didn't know they would be enough of a mod to need to inform the insurance so that's that out of the window. The cheeky blighters charge me enough as it is.

That being the case I might just pick up some new standard ones, Blueprint do the whole lot for about £80 or so. I'm sure after 16 years they'd make a bit of a difference.

I wouldn't have imagine brake hoses need to be changed.
They rarely go wrong unless they are damaged or if your brakes have issues in terms of certain callipers being inefficient. It should show on you MOT.

Providing your brakes are working ok at the moment - your likley to see much more bigger difference by:

- Complete brake fluid flush and bleed
- Strip down callipers, check sliders are not sticking, renew all boots and seals and check all brake calliper pistons move freely.
- Re-***emble above with silicon grease for sliders and copper grease for rear of pads
- Repeat for rears if calliper type
- If drum type remove drum cover and check shoes and seals. Adjust hand brake
- New pads
- New Discs

The above will be night and day difference if your braking system hasn't been overhauled before

Thanks.
The car stops fine enough but could certainly do with a fluid change. I've got service invoices from the last 11 years or so and don't recall it being listed on any of the recent ones. The current pads and discs seemed fine when I last had the wheels off, just a bit lived in. Probably not helped that the last owner only did about 1,200 miles a year for the last few years he owned it. Now it's getting some regular use some new bits and pieces will do it a world of good.
My parts list is at about £250 so far so not too bad. Another £120 or so for getting it all chucked on the car (oh for a drive/garage). Should keep the old beast going for a good while.