What's new

Brake caliper retainer spring/clip

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Right chaps need urgent help,

Did my brakes last weekend by using the diy thread. Was very straight forward and helpful.

Just noticed the caliper retainer spring thingy (no idea what you actually call it) was loose on one end and popped out when i touched it.

What does this thing do and is it dangerous to remove it for a day. I couldnt get it on properley without taking the wheels of due to the spokes and its got dark before i could do anything.

Cant do it tommorow will get it done on sunday first thing.

Is it safe to drive the car? What does this actually do?

Thanks all

I wouldn't drive with it missing. If it wasn't important it would be fitted. And brakes are a little on the important side.

I'll have to put it on before i set off in the morning. Best to be safe, would be good though to know what the purpose of this clip is.

I'll see if i can find something on the net.

Saj-no the clip on the outside of the brake caliper, goes into the caliper via the two pins?

Lings honda call them "locating pins" also noticed oem pads have holes on the outer pads. Is this where the pins go into? I'll have a closer look tommorow.

Even if they do go into the pads, i'm not sure what purpose they serve. Like Dan say must be something?

They stop the pads from rattling around in the calliper and potentially binding (If I am remembering my brake swap experience correctly). The rears have the equivalent on the top of the calliper.

Thanks Dan,
I don't see why it would be dangerous to drive carefully without it for a day but i'll sort it in tje morning anyway.

I'm sure my pads didn't have these holes for the pin. Another reason to go for genuine honda parts. May also explain ehy thd pins came loose on both sides.

I've probably been driving it without the pin in one end and effectivley without them all week!!!