What's new

brake fluid reservoir - accord 2006 -petrol

thedooor

Members
Reaction score
Car
Getz
All

I went to top up the brake fluid on the Accord 2006 petrol Face LIft.

Took the brake fluid reservoir cap off, and was expecting to see the top of the fluid in there.
However, there seems to be a rubber cap/bung of some kind in there.
(this is the first time i have had to remove the reservoir cap)
Is that right?
Any one got photos of their reservoir with the cap off.

I didn't put any fluid in there as it seems it would just spill out over the edges and not go into the reservoir.

Thanks

Looks a bit like this with the cap off.
This photo is from a Citreon by the way.
mitsubishi-space-star-brake-fluid-master-cylinder-cap-%5B2%5D-1218-p.jpg

I can't be sure (as I have a slightly different model) but is that rubber bung that's stopping you adding fluid simply the underside of the cap? Maybe try to tease it out and then see if it fits into the removed cap.

To eliminate guess work can you take a picture of what you actually see?

I cant find a way to load a photo?

Also, when the reservoir cap is in "place", I can still rotate the cap (back and forth) by 1 to 2 mm , is it mean to be like that?

Thanks

This rubber is there to avoid the air going into the reservoir.
When the fluid drops due to pads wear etc. the rubber will extdend herself so in this way you will not have vacum in the system.
The rubber is conected to the atmosfere with a little hole which allows the air going on the upper side of the rubber ( between the cap and the rubber ).
Rotating the cap when is in place is 100% normal due to such closing system

As the brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air, i didn't want to mess about with the seal.
It's only obvious if you have done it before (which i haven't).

There didn't seem any easy/obvious way of lifting the rubber seal out. As old rubber (10 years old) can will break up easily.

Is that rubber seal meant to be attached to the underside of the reservoir cap?
Can someone please confirm by checking on their car?

I was expecting to see this:-
step 4
https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2006_Honda_Accord_LX_2.4L_4_Cyl._Sedan_(4_Door)/brake_fluid/add_fluid

The filter you can found in every car i belive.
At least i did not meet any car witouth one

If you are not competent in filling up brake fluid no disrespect here take it to a garage as braking system is important, firstly why are you topping up either you have a leak or your brake pads are worn down.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

honda_saj said:
If you are not competent in filling up brake fluid no disrespect here take it to a garage as braking system is important, firstly why are you topping up either you have a leak or your brake pads are worn down.

LOL
If you have read all the posts, it's not about competence, it's about where that rubber seal should be under normal circumstances, i.e attached to the underside of the cap, or detached from the cap.

Do you have the same car? (2.4 petrol Facelift). If so, please provide a photo of the cap & seal. Thanks.

Normal brake pad wear, fluid about half way between min and max.

I have read all the posts and also topped up fluid in many cars including honda accord 2.4, as exlained earlier have you inspected all your pads no point topping up if you have leak or worn pads when you fit new pads the calipers will be pushed back and if you add too much will overflow, you simply remove rubber seal add brake fluid place back and close lid.

no leaks & i'm not loosing any fluid, as i marked the fluid level 12 months ago.

It seems like that rubber seal should be attached to the underside of that cap.

I've changed the engine oil and filter on my car many times.

Anyone have a 2.4 petrol saloon (Facelift). If so, please provide a photo of the cap & seal (top and bottom). Thanks.

That rubber seal seems like it should be attached to the underside of the cap.

So not sure why it has detached from the underside of the cap. (although Jan Accord's explanation maybe the reason).