What's new

brake fluid

brodziu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer i-CTDI
hi, guys I want to change brake fluid, so can anyone tell me how much do I need for whole brake system? also anyone can recommend some fluid? currently I was thinking about motul rbf 600, but it's recommended to change it every year so I think it's to often so probably I'll go for motul dot3&dot4. Thanks

I think I used about a third (or maybe a half) of a 5 litre can when I did mine. Just keep pushing fresh fluid through till it runs out of each wheel clean then keep going for half a pint or so.

Pretty sure you can get away with just buying a litre, two will more than cover you and leave some for future top up/change too. Put a generic dot 5.1 in mine and no problems.

+1, 2 litres for a full flush, Halfords dot 5.1 is thinner than dot 4 which the ABS pump will appreciate.

Agree 2L is enough, if you do it right and don't need to make too many passes.

Thanks for reply guys, I was just thinking if I can change dot4 to dot5.1, but it seems that I can, are you sure that it can be used on ours 7 gen accords? Thanks

Doesn't DOT 5 contain silicon? I would just use DOT4. I fitted Ferrodo pads/discs to my brother type R and some braided lines using dot 4 and brake feel was really awesome.

I'm about to do a full service on my gen 7 2.2 at the weekend and went to the local factors to buy various parts tonight. Chap behind the counter almost insisted I buy DOT 5.1 (as your car has ABS) but the handbook and cap on the master cylinder both say use DOT 3 or DOT 4 and no other types (especially not DOT 5 ).

I bought the DOT 4 but, having researched DOT 5.1 online now I'm wondering if I should "upgrade" to this. Thing is though, and as I plan to change brake fluid every 3 years while I keep the car (last time a Honda garage did the change and used DOT4 BTW) would I actually notice any benefit from using DOT 5.1? I suspect not but would be grateful for any comments.

the oem brake fluid from honda is the best you can use and it's the same price and cheaper than motul. it's the same quality as ate super blue racing maybe better and more cheaper than ate.
i have put dot4 plus from honda and its more than ok.