What's new

Brake lights not working

raffy

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.4l Exec Auto
Hi folks,
Wonder if you could help...this is probably because of a knackered bulb but thought I'd run it past you guys...I was randomly checking my rear lights last night and noticed that the left side rear tail light wasn't working (the one above the bumper corner, not the one in the boot)...looked at the bulb and it does look burnt out. While I was on I thought I'd better try the brake lights...lo and behold while the hight upper brake light below the rear screen works none of the other brake lights work...however when I put my lights on all of the corner and boot lights go on (apart from the knackered bulb of course). Could the lack of lower brake lights be a result of my single bulb being knackered ?cheers in advance !

Are you saying the driver side brake light comes on by itself when you switch on your lights? Or the brake light functions normally but only with the headlights switched on?

Sorry, I think I confused myself with that explanation ! one of the brake light bulbs has gone and while the other brake light bulb illuminates when the side / full lights are on it doesn't brighten when the brakes are applied....although the higher brake light does come on when brakes applied...does that make sense ? I would have thought I'd have at least got the drivers side brake light working even if the passenger side brake light is bust

Sounds like an underlying electrical fault brake lights should operate (obviously) with or without headlights

Yes, I would have thought the other brake light would at least illuminate brighter when the brakes are applied being dual filament...unless that's on its last legs too...I've ordered a pair of 7443 LED replacements so hopefully that'll do the trick...if not then the car has a 6 mth warranty and it'll be going back !
Cheers guys
D

ps. This forum has been a great help so far with my early days of Accord ownership...had some issues with EML, brakes and general odd and ends and the forum has been invaluable, cheers again

Hi

Did you get this fixed with the new brake light bulbs?

I have a similar problem. Both of the regular rear lights work, I apply the brakes and only the brake light in the window comes on. Neither of the other two lights brighten up.
That I guess rules out the brake light switch on the brake pedal.
I'm hoping that by replacing the two brake light bulbs will fix it (just strange that both bulbs dont work at the same time).

Update

I took out my rear light bulbs and saw both looked blown. I replaced them and now my rear lights AND brake lights are working again.

Glad all sorted

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk