What's new

Brakes Binding on my Mk7 and Mk8 Tourer

Silvermachine

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord I CTDI
I recon the brake callipers on Honda Accords are the one thing that let the car down, I still have my Mk7 2008 Tourer that I bought when it was three years old with 35,000 miles on it, it now has 275,000 miles, the engine does not burn any oil and it is still on the original cam chain, in fact never a spanner on the engine apart from oil changes! I have had constant trouble with the brake callipers binding though, always when you don't need it, the rear off side on my way back from the South of France, I noticed the fuel economy dropping, pulled in for fuel and the rear wheel was too hot to touch. I have had both front callipers do the same, now I have a mk8 Accord tourer as well, low and behold the front off side calliper started binding, so I replaced it with a genuine Honda calliper at £330, and now the near side is starting to bind so just ordered a genuine Honda calliper at £330. When working on the Mk7 over the years I saw peoples comments about the rear hoses collapsing inside, and about the calliper guides needing to be cleaned, I tried all these things which didn't solve the root cause of the problem which in my opinion is rust behind the square calliper piston seal, this causes it to clamp down harder on the piston not allowing it to return after applying the brakes. On my Mk7 I rebuilt all the callipers ,first cleaning all traces of the rust, then adding calliper grease, before new square seals and replacement pistons and bellows. The calliper will go on to do more than 100,000miles from here. At 62 years old I have had many cars and done high miles in all, the Accord Tourers engine and running gear are amazing but the callipers let it down and are expensive to replace.

Does the Mk 8 have the same ABS/VSA system as per the Mk7 ?
Does it have a similar master cylinder and filler cap ?

From what people are posting, the list of issues are:

Rear brakes (as explained)
i-CTDI cam chain wear
EGR storing smoke instead of burning it.
i-DTEC DPF doing what DPF's do
Early i-CTDI Exhaust manifold cracks
Tourer rear door wiring
Flaky soldering on Bluetooth module
Condensation / water in rear cabin
Squeaky clutch pedal
Satnav unit wired deeper into the fundamental consciousness of the car than the ECU
That tiny O ring in the power steering pump
Rear ABS sensor during bearing replacement
The engine's ESP-like ability to detect a non-Bosch diesel filter - it might as well have its own fault code
Mk8 Headlight globe replacement procedure - it is easier to put a robot on Mars.
Highly optimistic MPG indicator

Anything else?

(ps, I'm not complaining. I like the car. )

Thanks for that.

After 6 years with the Mk7 I have had seven issues, two of which were service parts, one from the previous owner and one of mine

ABS module, slippng clutch, engine mount/broken bolts and some dampers which I will fix after the MOT.

I can live with the heater matrix not doing its thing and the leaks, for now.

The car is an absolute legend.