What's new

braking noise

mikem

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
There comes from the front offside wheel a metallic almost whistle like noise when braking at low speed, such as whilst 3 point turning.
I understand there is supposed to be a warning sound when replacements are needed but do not know what that is supposed to sound like.
Is this metallic whistle the warning to change something sound, the too late it should have been done sound or the normal sound?

Mike that sounds like the metal spring when your pads are low.Best bet take a wheel off and inspect your brake pads.

what the funk. there is no warning sound and I don't know of any car that has a warning sound when the pads are low. usually when you hear metal on metal it is to late and your discs are junked.

some cars have brake pad sensors which illuminate the dash when triggered but the accord does not have this and its not the most reliable thing anyway.

what the funk. there is no warning sound and I don't know of any car that has a warning sound when the pads are low. usually when you hear metal on metal it is to late and your discs are junked.

some cars have brake pad sensors which illuminate the dash when triggered but the accord does not have this and its not the most reliable thing anyway.
Neal trust me OEM pads have tiny metal springs that rub against the disk to let you no there on min.
This was on my 7th gen so its prob the same for the 6th gen as well.

Neal trust me OEM pads have tiny metal springs that rub against the disk to let you no there on min.
This was on my 7th gen so its prob the same for the 6th gen as well.

Agree with Brett on this one,recently changed my front discs& pads, the pads were fitted with the metal springs.

I think it's the same for every car on the road TBH. It's a very distinctive screeching sound and doesn't do any damage provided you change them in a timely manner.

As has been said mate. You'll be needing new pads.

Pad.jpg

This is what they mean.
When the pad wears far enough the tip rubs against the disc and you get the audible warning. Get them changed as soon as possible or else it will get expensive.

Yep, had them warning bits of metal on the pads of every Honda I've had! Agree with the recommendations, if you don't get it checked out eventually you will damage the discs and then it is game over.

I have an issue where driving beside a wall at low speed you can hear the metal squeak/whistle but braking actually stops it. Any ideas? Will have to check it later on by taking off the wheel.

I have an issue where driving beside a wall at low speed you can hear the metal squeak/whistle but braking actually stops it. Any ideas? Will have to check it later on by taking off the wheel.
Squeak in time with wheel rotation? Bit like mine.
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/7156-tourer-brake-issues-and-noises/
I've discovered mine stops when I push harder on the brakes as well.

There comes from the front offside wheel a metallic almost whistle like noise when braking at low speed, such as whilst 3 point turning.
I understand there is supposed to be a warning sound when replacements are needed but do not know what that is supposed to sound like.
Is this metallic whistle the warning to change something sound, the too late it should have been done sound or the normal sound?
had them checked today front pads and discs shot, back still good. Is that a 1-1 draw?

Squeak in time with wheel rotation? Bit like mine.
http://typeaccord.co...ues-and-noises/
I've discovered mine stops when I push harder on the brakes as well.

Thanks for the link. Mine doesn't squeak when turning left but does when turning right, or going straight. Brakes stop the squeaking.

And, yes ... it squeaks in time with wheel rotation.

Same as mine then, only turning right but that's a different squeak to the one I get when lightly applying the brakes. All very odd. I can see the pads are definitely thick enough so it's not them.

Trev if you get a squeak when turning sounds like a CV boot or bearing issue mate.

Pagraig, sounds like it's gonna be the same with yours dude.

Trev if you get a squeak when turning sounds like a CV boot or bearing issue mate.

Pagraig, sounds like it's gonna be the same with yours dude.

Even though it goes away sometimes? This morning I did some harder braking to test my creak noise and it disappears when braking harder - only creaks when braking gently, but then it went away completely, and during this quiet period of no creak I was getting no donk noise when turning either!

Hmmmm, i don't know then mate to be honest. If it starts becoming a real issue it might be time to get it looked at. But if there are no serious effects from this then i wouldn't worry too much about it.