What's new

Broken wheel stud - again

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
As some of you know, I am looking to change my front brakes for a while.

Well, today was the day that I was going to change the brakes, but it seems it was destined to.

First, I wake up early in the morning to take advantage of the early fresh temperature, surprise, it was raining :huh:
Waited for one hour, and it stopped, raining.

Then, started to take of the wheel nuts, and this happened:

What bothers me more, is that this is the second time it happens to me, although on the other wheel. Obviously I stopped changing the brakes, since I have to remove the brake disk to install a new stud.

Will order a new stud first thing Monday morning. To get even worst, the guys the local Honda parts are unable to get wheel nuts like the ones in my car. They get bigger nuts, so I guess I will have to stick with one more open nut.

I might stop by the tire shop where I always go and ask for an explication, since I suspect they are tightening the nuts too much.

Why the hell is this happening?
I guess it's too much coincidence....

Could be the nuts that are getting worn out and sticking to the studs? Do you guys thing if it's a good idea to buy a new nuts for all wheels?

Are you torquing the bolts up too tight?

The fact that 2 have now snapped would point to me that your over tightening the bolts..

Not me, I always use a torque wrench.

As for the guys at the tire shop, I don't know... Coincidence or not, about a month ago I went to that same tire shop to calibrate the front wheels.

always tighten your wheels by yourself with torque wrench.
I had incident some time ago too. after tire shop changed my wheels and tightened with air wrench tool I could not unscrew any bolt from it. I tried to use 3 meter long extending tube in addition to key and bolt broke away like yours. after that I forged key with hammer and tried to unscrew. Everything went perfect.... I'm tightening nuts by myself since then.

Definitely over tightening.... I have yet to get a vehicle back with all the nuts done correctly.

Last time kiwi shi*t did them a couple were barely more than finger tight.

Sounds like the monkeys at the tyre shop just tightened the carp out of them with an air gun instead of doing the job properly with a torque wrench.

Didn't undertood this part :unsure:

don't know how to explain(can't find correct words). I beat over the socket wrench with hammer and then unscrewed it.
I hope I made my self clearly now :)

don't know how to explain(can't find correct words). I beat over the socket wrench with hammer and then unscrewed it.
I hope I made my self clearly now :)

Now I get it ;)
If it happens again, will try that B)