What's new

Burning Oil (PCV valve)

Honest

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Hello Everyone,

I have a 6th Gen Honda Accord 2.0L SE it has done 142K. I have noticed that I am losing 1 litre of oil almost every 1000miles. Could this be due to the PCV Valve? As I can't see any signs of oil leak.

If yes, how do I change it and where is it located? Any guides ?

Also does the Breather Pipe need cleaning or replacing?

I have asked Honda for PCV valve and they have quoted me £40 for the part. I have read on American forums that they only pay a few dollars properly less than $10. Does anyone know where I can buy a good aftermarket PCV valve for cheap?

Thanks

Scrap yard is probably your best bet. I managed to get a handful for a fiver.

It is easy to remove just disconnect the rubber hose and pull the plastic valve straight up.

Then with a pair of needle nose pliers or a small flash head screw driver ease the plastic or rubber seal from the engine head cover. You may be lucky in that this bit doesn't need replacing and if so don't touch it.

I have a Genuine Honda PCV valve in my garage somewhere. £25 delivered and its yours.

I have a Genuine Honda PCV valve in my garage somewhere. £25 delivered and its yours.

Is the Part brand new and does it come with the rubber seal and will the part no# be the same as my orignal?

Also do guys think that I could be losing oil due to the PCV valve, which is causing my engine to burn the oil ?

I don't think the PCV would cause oil burning. It should just be venting gasses back into the intake. You could buy a can of carb/throttle body cleaner, take the valve out the rocker cover and off the hose and spray some cleaner into the valve then let it dry off before putting it back.

Are you getting much smoke from your exhaust? Have you have a compression test done to see if there is any leakage in the cylinders?

I have never seen that pcv valve vould fail on good engine.
Go and check engine compression :) maybe your cars engine is running last miles...

First thing to check before:
conditions: engine hot and running.
loosen engine oil cap, but leave it on engine(you should leave it so that you could take it away without turning it any more).
push accelerator pedal(ask somebody to do that, or you can turn throttle plate bu your self) one or two times. if engine sucks engine cap, then there is hope, if engine blows cap away - then engine piston rings are failing. and it is "eating" oil.

be careful not burn your hands or anything else :)

Every used car buyer is checking cars engines by this method before buying, I think :)

i have almost the same oil eating rate from my F20B6 (1 liter of mobil1 5w50 every 2000km). it always eated a lot of oil so it is not a signal of engine near death (sgrat sgrat), also the eating rate is almost constant. i don't see smoke from exhaust, nor i can see spark plugs carbon deposits (they are brown).

i following the thread as i have not a solution at the moment. just i though it could be related to a suction or exhaust valve guide damaged.
currently i'm repairing the primary o2 sensor..., then i would like to fix this oil issue, i will do the oil cap test as suggested and will give you my feedback.

if oil is going to intake then there must be signs of it in exhaust. check your exhaust gases for CO CH. otherwise oil is just leaking out somewhere. it can't just disappear in intake manifold

Thanks for everyone’s response. I have not noticed much smoke coming out of the back of the exhaust. The smoke in fact seems minimal especially on warm days, so this must mean that the car is not burning oil. I will do the test that Linas has suggested, by losing the oil cover and giving the engine some revs.

I topped up my oil two weeks ago, early last week I did unplug and plug my PVC Valve back in and have done about a 1000 miles since then and have not notice any depreciation in oil, so may this fixed it LOL.