What's new

Burning smell coming from rear

uzy89

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi

I have this burning smell coming from the rear drivers side of a accord 04 petrol

As a result of this, my hand brake has loosened up too

Went to garage to get it checked out and they say I need new callipers and pads.

The garage quoted 140 for everything but I think its a bit on the dear side, especially for a reconditioned one.

Been looking on eurocarparts but they have two different ones, could someone advise please which one it is ?

Thanks

http://www.eurocarpa...0063c5f8

http://www.eurocarpa...87f23f71

It's the one that says saloon or tourer in the details, depending which you have :p

The expensive one is for a saloon, as that has a combined brake/footbrake... I guess that's what you have?

£140 for a recondition caliper plus new pads and probably you will need new disk as we'll is a bargin.

Seems good value for me, i had a 1 new caliper and both rear disks and pads changed because of this problem and it cost more than £140.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it is a saloon so suppose it will have to be the expensive one.

£140 doesn't include new disc and it is only for the driver side, passenger side is fine. You's think it is an okay price ?

Give HoldCroft a call, I got my OEM rear caliper a few years back for about £110 - ok a bit dearer than ECP, buts its an official Honda part.

You normally replace brakes per axle, ie all up front or all on the rear. Obviously this is going to add to the expense that you might not be willing to incur but just thought I'd mention it. Pads come in an Axle Set so you'll get four pads, if I were you I would consider the other disc.

If you can inspect the brakes you might decide to just try a caliper, I never replaced my disc or pads (still using them 4yr later but i did replace the caliper. My brakes weren't totally cooked however so you need to make a call on that yourself. If it turns out you do need them, then no loss - you were going to buy anyway.

Good price mate, I had a recon caliper for a Civic Type R it was about £110 plus about £20 for pads plus labour and if I needed a new disc it would have been another £40.

Get them to check the disc, depending on the distance covered and the heat generated from the seized caliper it may not be warped.

Forgot to say....that Holdcroft price is a straight purchase, not need to return your existing caliper as per ECP.

Therefore you could sell it on as siezed, someone might buy it to rebuild or even strip it yourself and see how they work (that's what I done lol)