What's new

Buy a car with multiple repairs on engine?

DiD

Members
Reaction score
Car
CN1
I came across an `04 accord, with 164.000km`s (102.000miles) on the clocks, from the 1st owner, garage keeped, which has had only recently the following works done: turbo, exhaust mani, rear caliper(s) and alternator replaced with new OEM. My first thoughts were this is a good opportunity since the bigger and most expensive repairs are done, except for the clutch, and for less than 6000€ i shouldn`t give it much thought. I have inspected the car myself, the body is in excellent condition, and the car looks in general well looked after, drives really good too. Owner says mileage is mostly done on autobahn, and sells only to get a newer model. That to me didn`t make sense after spending so much money on repairs. Am i thinking about this too much or should i walk away?

It seems very expensive, at least by UK standards... around 4 x what you might expect to pay for an older Accord.

A lot of work has been done, so odd that the owner now wants to sell it. Perhaps something else is failing and he's had enough? I see the chains have not been replaced.

The prices here are a bit higher compared to those in the UK, and the 6K he`s asking are negotiable, and will settle for 5200€. I thought of the chains too, and then i thought he wanted to do only those that needed immediate repair, and chains are meant to outlast the engine i read somewhere in here? There wasn`t anything on the car that could give away a hidden flaw, is this a good car, or a wolf in sheep's skin?

DiD said:
The prices here are a bit higher compared to those in the UK, and the 6K he`s asking are negotiable, and will settle for 5200€. I thought of the chains too, and then i thought he wanted to do only those that needed immediate repair, and chains are meant to outlast the engine i read somewhere in here? There wasn`t anything on the car that could give away a hidden flaw, is this a good car, or a wolf in sheep's skin?
Are you from germany? As you drive on the autobahn? Prices in europe are always more expensive then in UK. Seems a fair price to me to be honest :)

chains on these do not last the life on these cars. Please search the forum for more info.

I don't know how long the average turbo would last on one of these engines, but 100k miles doesn't seem like a very long life - could this be indicative of the car being treated poorly?

Nasty1984 said:
Are you from germany? As you drive on the autobahn? Prices in europe are always more expensive then in UK. Seems a fair price to me to be honest :)
Yes, i live in Munich actually. In the 5~6000€ range there are many offers, but needs much caution deciding correctly.

Salim said:
chains on these do not last the life on these cars. Please search the forum for more info.
Thanks, i will investigate further.
Josh2109 said:
I don't know how long the average turbo would last on one of these engines, but 100k miles doesn't seem like a very long life - could this be indicative of the car being treated poorly?
I agree too on the mileage, but sometimes could be a faulty part or other parameters. The more i think about it, and read through the forums, i don`t get the feeling that the car was well looked after.