What's new

Buying Advice

Moon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
I've seen an Ictdi Tourer 2006 Facelift on Autotrader that has 130,000 on the clock, price is £4,200

It has had a new timing chain, tensioner, alternator and clutch within the last 3,000 miles by a garage local to the seller.

It has full Honda service history to 86,000 miles and thereafter services in Poland, where the seller is from originally.

He tells me oil used in services is 0w 40,

Does this scream "stay away" or is it worth pursuing due to the replacement of the parts listed above?

I'll be taking somebody who knows what he's looking at and listening for if I do go to look at it, who may well advise me to stay away when I give him the spiel above anyway, but I'm curious as to reaction from the experienced folk on here.

As a matter of interest, do many buy privately, or do most of you buy from dealers?

Hi there, as temping as it sounds to have had all the major bits and pieces done, the problem I have is that they were done by a local garage to the seller (was this in Poland). Plus the servicing being carried out in Poland you have no real way of knowing if the servicing has been carried out correctly for starters 0w - 40 isn't the recommended viscosity, the recommended oil is 0w - 30 (especially with the cold winters in Poland). I think you have the right idea in taking someone who knows what they are looking for, you never no the car could be a peach.

Thanks for the reply.

I think it's the fact that it's been serviced in Poland that's now putting me off as I obviously have no idea of knowing what their servicing standards are like, and after reading about oil on here, I've also seen that the 30 is the one of choice.

If everything had been done by Honda, including the repairs, I'd have been very keen despite the mileage as it looks lovely, but I think I've probably talked myself out of this one.

Back to the drawing board...

Using 0w40 is probably why the timming chain needed replacing in the 1st place.
As its a new chain now the car should be fine but only use 0w30

New tensioner?
0-40 oil?

Avoid.

Right ta, I've decided to leave it.

Hard work, this car-buying business. :(

My next potential is a 2005 (05) EX with 80k and FHSH for £4,500.

Does that sound like a reasonable price, providing the bodywork and interior are good, although I'll offer less anyway?

It's a private seller.

Tricky - it is prefacelift, so:

Manifold?

Clutch?

Oil?

Check the timing chain too.

You should really be aiming at post facelift for that money.

Cheers Dan.

I was looking at the facelift thread last night, and all the glitter and shine, not to mention the bells and whistles, rather caught my eye, so I think my mind's now made up on them.

For £4,500-£5,000 what sort of mileage should I be looking at, as I'm hoping for around the 80k mark, or am I being unrealistic?

Cheers Dan.

I was looking at the facelift thread last night, and all the glitter and shine, not to mention the bells and whistles, rather caught my eye, so I think my mind's now made up on them.

For £4,500-£5,000 what sort of mileage should I be looking at, as I'm hoping for around the 80k mark, or am I being unrealistic?
Don't think your being unrealistic, all depends on how desperate the sell is.

So all I need is someone on here who knows what they're looking at to buy me a car and I'll give them £100 finders fee.

Any takers...? :D

Having just bought a facelift 06 after spending loads of time searching ebay and Autotrader I'd say you'll struggle to find anything under £5k with under 100k miles. You might do it, but you'll struggle. Actually having said that I was looking for HFT + Nav so if you don't need these toys you could have a little more success.

As was said before - it depends how desperate the seller is. Also bear in mind that the 75k service is a bit more expensive and you could be looking at disks and other similar consumables (tyres) around those sort of miles so don't only look at the selling price; if it needs tax, tyres and a service you could easily spend another £500. Tax is cheap though.

That's what I'm finding.

Not bothered about the sat nav, as I wouldn't update the disc, and will continue to use the TomTom on my phone, but the 6th gear and other sparkly bits appeals.

What's the maximum mileage I want to be looking at, as long as its been serviced properly?

I bought my 06 ex cdti facelift 18 months ago for £8000. 77k on the clock from a private dealer via auto trader. Main buying point was a full honda service history and I've never had a problem with it (manifold needed fixing but was still under warranty), it also came with Honda branded 18" alloys which I've never seen before. Its now bearing down on the 112.5k service with no other problems.

A friend saw the car and bought an identicle one from a dealer (same model/year but with 17"'s) for £12.5k it did have only 30k on the clock though.

Gotta love these cars!

What's the maximum mileage I want to be looking at, as long as its been serviced properly?
The 64 million dollar question!

All cars will have some things go wrong and ultimately that just means money. I think therefore the main thing is trying to ***ess the likelihood of expensive things going wrong. In my short time of researching the Accord (plenty on here with plenty more experience) the big things are:

a. Turbo (not many problems)
b. exhaust manifold (very likely to fail, expensive when out of warranty)
c. clutch (will go at some point and can be mighty pricey)

The rest of the car should keep going for ever - that's why I bought it anyway.

What mileage you're comfortable with really depends on what you want to spend and how long you need it to last and how many miles you drive. I bought mine with 85k miles expecting to keep it for 2 years and put another 50-60k on it. At that point it'll be coming to its next 'big' service and I'll decide whether to keep it longer. They are a better high mileage bet than most cars but it will always be a gamble, a good history of oil changes is the most important thing to check for.

The reason I say its not unrealistic is that I paid £2.5k for my 06 CDTI Sport with 37k on the clock FHSH, it just needed 3 tyres, mot and tax so in total about £2.8k. I think I was fortunate and this isn't the general rule of thumb but kind of proves mine point. Also I've seen 70k - 80k miles Accords with FSH go for £3k - £3.5k at auction (though buying at auction warrants caution).

The reason I say its not unrealistic is that I paid £2.5k for my 06 CDTI Sport with 37k on the clock FHSH, it just needed 3 tyres, mot and tax so in total about £2.8k. I think I was fortunate and this isn't the general rule of thumb but kind of proves mine point. Also I've seen 70k - 80k miles Accords with FSH go for £3k - £3.5k at auction (though buying at auction warrants caution).

That's astonishing value!

I won't be going to an auction, but would prefer a dealer if a decent warranty was being offered.

I've got a few coming with me when I next see something I fancy, one of whom will hopefully be able to determine what's going to go wrong and when by looking and listening.

No real problem with private sellers, and am now only looking at cars with FHSH, and generally being a lot more choosy after reading a lot of threads on here, and getting stung three weeks ago with the car I've now returned for a full refund.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm always grateful for any advice.

You sound like your going about it in the right way and taking someone with you who knows what to look for is good, but that said as I'm sure you know it's like anything you could check everything and it could be ok at the time for it only to go wrong at a later date. When I purchased mine I had a general knowledge of cars and their mechanics but it was only after owning the vehicle and becoming a member of TA that I found out about the common niggles specific to the Accord CDTI.

If you do go down the dealer route make sure the warranty covers everything and is not limited, otherwise there is no real advantage over a private seller.

That's the problem I had with the last one.

Only two of us went, neither knowing much about cars other than what colours we like.

Got all giddy, and bought it with a warranty thinking I'd be covered for any potential faults after my mechanic had given it the once over, but only found out some days later that the maximum £300 payout wasn't going to make much of a dent in the price of fitting the new timing chain it needed.

One lives and learns... :)