What's new

Buying advice

oly

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 2.0L Type-S
Hi guys, I'm shopping around for a 7th Gen Accord on the Honda Approved Used website. Right now I'm pretty open about petrol and diesel options, (in other words, I can't seem to make my mind up). I feel strongly towards the diesel, I just am not sure about maintenance costs. After reading some posts on here though, my mind is set at ease.

The other problem I have is the good cars are scattered throughout the country, so it's extremely difficult for me to go and test drive them all before making a decision.

I spoke to this salesman in Southall Honda and he said that if I like a particular car anywhere in the country, they can get it for me. But I'd have to buy it blind (well, only by reading about it on paper). So I guess my first question is, is this a crazy idea? If I test drive a 2.2 diesel locally to see how it feels, then buy a similar one (but with higher mileage, 2-3 years older) from another dealership and get it shipped over, is the Honda Approved Used checks system reliable enough? I'm a noob when it comes to cars so I wouldn't know much about what to check anyway.

These are a few I've shortlisted:
- 2.2i CTDi Sport Saloon - 60k - 2007
- 2.0i VTEC SE Saloon - 30k - 2007
- 2.0i VTEC Type-S Saloon - 25k - 2007

Any advice please?

quite simply, do not buy the diesel unless you intend doing over 15000 a year,,,,, the petrol version seems to be bombproof

If you buy one blind from a Honda garage and there's a major problem with it, it will be fixed, just go for a long drive in it when you pick it up and take it back asap to tell them what's up.
Problems you face are things like stonechips and damage to bodywork and interior, as they can claim it as wear and tear even if it's beyond what you would consider acceptable. Some people go to view a car which looks lovely in pictures, only to find it looks 'tatty' and unloved - which is a real put-off for some of us. If this isn't a bother for you really, or you think you could argue a reduction of cost once you see it maybe, then go for it.
I bought mine blind by the way, asked the (non-Honda) garage to go and drive it and gave him some things to look out for (vibrations etc.), he seemed OK to do that for me, whether or not he would have lied I don't know, maybe I was lucky.

Or do what iv done in my last 2 accords.
Search around till you find one that looks the right one.
Put a deposit down and have an agreement to buy the car once seen and drove.
If it's not up to scratch then a full refund is given back.
This is a buyers market and dealers will bend over backwards to get a sell.

quite simply, do not buy the diesel unless you intend doing over 15000 a year,,,,, the petrol version seems to be bombproof

True about petrols, but 15k is a little high. I think we worked it out once and it was 9k... could wrong though :D

True about petrols, but 15k is a little high. I think we worked it out once and it was 9k... could wrong though :D

I do about 10k a year. Just have to be aware of the servicing routine, I follow the 'extreme' course of servicing, so do oil changes around about every 3k miles.

Thanks for all the pointers guys. I've decided to stick with the petrols - I don't think I'll be doing more than 10k a year, and lots of small runs, which if I understand correctly, is not good for the diesel engine in the long run.

There's a nice black Type S 2.0L with just 25k on the clock and is a 2007 model. I know I'm going to move out of the country in 3 years so I need something that'll run well for that time, and have some residual value left over when I sell it back.

I'm off to test drive a 2.0L and a 2.4L right now (pity the 2.4L only seems to pop up with auto transmissions!)

If you drive a manual K24 your mind will be made up trust me.

If you drive a manual K24 your mind will be made up trust me.

+1 Only had my 2.4 manual for two months and I ****ing love it , so glad I never even thought about the 2.0....

Paul

Don't be put off the 2.0. It is a perfectly good car. Just because it doesn't have 200bhp doesn't mean its not got enough poke. 155bhp is enough for normal driving and you get better fuel economy and cheaper insurance to boot.

Well I am also looking for either a mk 7 or 8 accord, as a mk 5 Type-R owner of 10 years I am reluctantly looking for a 2.2 derv. This is due to company car allowance stipulations of 160gCO2/km.

I may end up keeping the ATR and try to reverse the 180k miles of wear and tear, there aren't many of them left anymore as they are either gettting crashed or "tuned".

So I went to look at this car today http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218467933866/sort/locasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/manual/body-type/estate/model/accord/make/honda/keywords/ex/postcode/gu526yr/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

FHSH, few marks on the front bumper, rear quarter panel (scratch and ding) and the alloys need a once over. The driver seat looks like it has done a hard 85k and the driver mat has a small hole in it.

This http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218467682897/sort/locasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/manual/body-type/estate/model/accord/make/honda/keywords/ex/postcode/gu526yr/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p
looks good value, can the 2.2. take the milage? I spoke to the supply and only servicing dealer, confirmed new clutch and flywheel ok at 120k miles. New alternator and battery at 140k miles. Just due a service now at 155k.

Thoughts it is worth getting low mile minter from a main dealer, I am looking to only get a car if the clutch/flywheel have been done and the manifold is ok. Then get it chipped. My 22 month old loved the power tailgate.

The EX is fully loaded and I just need to get a sunrooof!

Cheers

II woukd not pay 4k for a car that has the wrong end of 150k on it. You will get no return on when the time comes to part with it. Saying that I would not pay 6.2k for a 85k car either. You can get a petrol with 30k on the clock for that price.

II woukd not pay 4k for a car that has the wrong end of 150k on it. You will get no return on when the time comes to part with it. Saying that I would not pay 6.2k for a 85k car either. You can get a petrol with 30k on the clock for that price.

Crespo petrol isn't an option, would you value those two cars at? Just out of interest, I am still trying to gauge what to pay.

Ta.

Well I am also looking for either a mk 7 or 8 accord, as a mk 5 Type-R owner of 10 years I am reluctantly looking for a 2.2 derv. This is due to company car allowance stipulations of 160gCO2/km.

I may end up keeping the ATR and try to reverse the 180k miles of wear and tear, there aren't many of them left anymore as they are either gettting crashed or "tuned".

So I went to look at this car today http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218467933866/sort/locasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/manual/body-type/estate/model/accord/make/honda/keywords/ex/postcode/gu526yr/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

FHSH, few marks on the front bumper, rear quarter panel (scratch and ding) and the alloys need a once over. The driver seat looks like it has done a hard 85k and the driver mat has a small hole in it.

This http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218467682897/sort/locasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/manual/body-type/estate/model/accord/make/honda/keywords/ex/postcode/gu526yr/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p
looks good value, can the 2.2. take the milage? I spoke to the supply and only servicing dealer, confirmed new clutch and flywheel ok at 120k miles. New alternator and battery at 140k miles. Just due a service now at 155k.

Thoughts it is worth getting low mile minter from a main dealer, I am looking to only get a car if the clutch/flywheel have been done and the manifold is ok. Then get it chipped. My 22 month old loved the power tailgate.

The EX is fully loaded and I just need to get a sunrooof!

Cheers

What is wrong with this one.??

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201217467036555/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/7000/price-from/4000/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/accord/make/honda/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/bh13ph?logcode=p

Or this one.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218468174796/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/7000/price-from/4000/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/accord/make/honda/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/bh13ph?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218468176241/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/7000/price-from/4000/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/accord/make/honda/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/bh13ph?logcode=p

In fact there are loads better value than you linked to. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/honda/accord/postcode/bh13ph/radius/1501/price-to/7000/price-from/4000/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/sort/default/fuel-type/diesel

Crespo petrol isn't an option, would you value those two cars at? Just out of interest, I am still trying to gauge what to pay.

Ta.

to be honest mate i wouldn't pay that for either of them.

Here is a cheap one. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201217467298893/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-from/4000/price-to/7000/model/accord/make/honda/radius/1501/postcode/bh13ph/page/1?logcode=p

And see my post above for cars at the higher end of your budget.

Depends if you want a tourer specifically, saloons are cheaper (as Neils linking shows).

Guys, just back from the test drives. 2.4 is definitely peppier and though I'm rationalising that I'll never require that kind of power on my supermarket runs, I'm finding myself being pulled in.

Found this one, it's a 2005 model 2.4 manual, and it's apparently done only 9700 miles. Now is that good or bad? Honda have got it on their approved used site, so it's history must be good.

I guess my question is, is the low mileage a positive or a negative from the point of view of the car's health?

Cheers all.

Guys, just back from the test drives. 2.4 is definitely peppier and though I'm rationalising that I'll never require that kind of power on my supermarket runs, I'm finding myself being pulled in.

Found this one, it's a 2005 model 2.4 manual, and it's apparently done only 9700 miles. Now is that good or bad? Honda have got it on their approved used site, so it's history must be good.

I guess my question is, is the low mileage a positive or a negative from the point of view of the car's health?

Cheers all.

190 bhp isn't really a lot in a 1500kg car, you won't ever think its to much! The milage isn't that much of an issue it low, just make sure it have had a yearly service. 6 months ago i found a mk7 tourer 20005 reg with 30k miles. It had 2 service and was being sold as an approved honda, a call to Honda HQ revealed that they wouldn't warrant a claim as it hadn't been serviced as per the book.

The colour of that 2.4 is not to my liking. If you like it buy it.

Low milage good tourers are like rocking horse s****.

If you're doing around 12K miles a year, then i'd have to say go for the K24.

mate never discard the petrol option,,,, what ive spent in repairs on my 2.2 diesel wouldve more than covered the cost diff in fuel.

the diesel has well documented expensive problems,,, the petrol sound bombproof,,if i had the choice over again,its a no brainer

I would have bought a petrol if I could have found one that matched what I wanted, but never did. I'm happy with the diseasal though.

thanks again guys. What's your opinion on the 9700 miles 2.4 link I posted earlier? any problems with such a low mileage on a 2005 car? It's being sold in the honda approved uses network, so I don't think it'll be a lemon, but according to your experience what problems could ensue?

Cheers all.

thats basically a brand new car at that mileage.

price is a bit steep but reflects the mileage, you can ***ume practically maintenance free motoring for thousands of miles , apart from routine oil etc.

the colour doesnt do it for me though

i got a 2.4 2004 recently and have put almost 2,000gbp in parts and stuff into it, to give you an example.

106,000 miles, paid 2,400gbp

my 2.4 had 70,000 on clock, 2004, cost 3,999 - 500 of old honda px. cost me only consumables, oil, filters, tyres. no problems and feels solid!! clutch still feels brand new, ( lady owner from new and I doubt she knew it had VTEC or even knew what it was) lol :lol: few marks on the paint work, but hey i can live with that, engine and build is solid.

Lol I test drove it !!!!!!

They said someone else was waiting and for once I knew it wasn't just salesman talk !

Nice car but make sure u get two wheels refurbed !

Lol I test drove it !!!!!!

They said someone else was waiting and for once I knew it wasn't just salesman talk !

Nice car but make sure u get two wheels refurbed !

Ha! thanks for the tip. gd luck with your quest!

ta mate - tbh I should have gone for it - i just didn't really want black and it was advertised as having a sunroof but didn't...

they offered me a really good price for mine too...

ah well my loss your gain !