What's new

Buying ICDTI 2004 Tourer Need advice

wolverine5pl

Reaction score
Car
Toyota Avensis
Hi guys.
I'm thinking about diesel 2004 Tourer. 118k miles for £1495.
Car has full service history. only 3 previous owners.
Looking at diesel as petrol mpg is soo bad.
Question are they good cars or avoid?
Anything to check when buying diesel accord?
Do they use oil every set of miles?

I had a 2004 CDTi Tourer and it was brilliant. It went last week because a van drove into it :( Had 180k and was going strong even the Electric tailgate boot still worked. The only costly repair I had done was timing chain @ 100k. I serviced it myself with genuine parts from a company called cox parts and the service is easy. So the only thing from my experience is just check the timing chain really. Sorry hope this helps.

thanks. and how did you knew it needed done timing chain?
did you had cracked exhaust manifold? read about those aswell

You can hear it when the engine was running on idle. Hard to explain but it sounds like a chain is rattling. Honda Technician actually heard it when I was parked up one day and told me to have it checked and I did and they said I should stop driving it, but he don’t know I was Driving it for a few months with the same Symptoms before lol lucky I suppose. I did read somewhere they did have an issue with this on the CDTI. But from what people say the CDTI is better than the newer DTEC which I have now and I agree I prefer my old CDTi tourer.

As said timing chains can be an issue and are expensive to replace. Issues also with cracked exhaust manifolds but if this has happened then may well have been covered under warranty. Check the service paperwork if you can.

Other than that they are great cars and my 2004 has just clocked up over 172,000 and going great.

Issues with mine over the past four years

Aircon
wheel sensors
Abs / car module
Earthing issue under bonnet.
Engine mount near alternator

Check all fluids under the bonnet and look for leaks from the steering circuit, also the rear brakes (near side) for binding.
Also the alternator pulley / belt system for the routing mods.

Something else to look at is the bracket on the top of the rear subframe for the suspension upper arm, mine is a 2005 Accord CDTI with 150K on the clock, the right rear suspension collapsed because the bracket had dissolved into rust, it had gone completely, it's a trap for any mud salt etc, due to the age and mileage the cars a right off.

Didn't the facelift model have changes to the timing chain guides or was it only cosmetic?

Agree with above, leaking steering rack/pipe can be hidden by the undertrays, it's still a sixteen year old car mind and if some of the little jobs have been done it could be a good buy for you. The icdti engine is beaut if it's been looked after imo, luv the torque.

Twice I've made the mistake of not checking the underside of Accords, anything to do with the mechanical s can be sorted, but if either of the subframes are really corroded it is terminal or will be the next time the MOT comes around, even if you've got a welder there's usually nothing to weld to, poke around with a screwdriver or preferably a hammer all of the suspension mounting points which usually stick out and collect all the c rap, trouble is these cars always look pretty good on top but that's no good if the undercariage disappears in a pile of rust.

Hi, I also have a 2004 diesel tourer, it has been a pleasure to own and I enjoy driving it everyday. As mentioned the engines are great. At this age things start to get rusty and worn and need replacing. Luckily thanks to the forum I have replaced everything myself and I'm not mechanical minded. I would check power steering pipes for leaks, look through front grill there's a cooling pipe that also corrodes. It's hard to say as every car has had a different life. I have replaced drop links, alternator and serviced it and the engine is still purrs. Rear brakes can get sticky but easily sorted. Check no fumes in cab and also that the air con engages and runs. It may be worth checking the fan belt if it has been changed to shorter one. All the best !