What's new

Buzzing noise when turning turning the ignition

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys,

About a couple of weeks ago, I started to ear a buzzing noise when I turn the ignition to start the engine on my 6th gen, which seems to come from the dashboard zone. The car starts ok and apparently have no other issues.

This happened only a few times, but I am starting to scratch my head :unsure: ... Could this be related to the known ignition barrel problem?

Cheers!

If the noise stops then it's the fuel pressure regulator doing it's job. When you turn the ignition on, but don't start the car, the fuel pump will push fuel to the engine. It will stop when the regulator (a little mushroom valve) reaches the correct pressure to start the car

Unfortunatly i don't have a pic of the regulator, but it's on your fuel rail, and the only thing that sticks out of it.

But if it doesn't stop then i'd say that it could be the ignition barrel.

*EDIT*

If you need i can take a pic of it and then post it up tomorrow for you dude.

If the noise stops then it's the fuel pressure regulator doing it's job. When you turn the ignition on, but don't start the car, the fuel pump will push fuel to the engine. It will stop when the regulator (a little mushroom valve) reaches the correct pressure to start the car

Unfortunatly i don't have a pic of the regulator, but it's on your fuel rail, and the only thing that sticks out of it.

But if it doesn't stop then i'd say that it could be the ignition barrel.

*EDIT*

If you need i can take a pic of it and then post it up tomorrow for you dude.
I know where is the fuel regulator, and I don't believe its that.

The noise looks like an electric buzzing, and only happens when I turn the key to start the car. When I put the key in the "ON" position it doesn't happen anything, just when I turn it to start the engine.

Apart from the ignition barrel dude i can't think of anything else to suggest. :(

Sorry Pedro.

I get a sort of buzzing / rapid electrical switching noise very rarely week I turn off the ignition sand turn the key quite slowly. It's sort of like a very rapid electrical bouncing as if the relays are switching on and off while the key is between on and off position

I guess I will just ignore it, until it starts doing it more frequently or causing any problems...

Could be the ignition switch. Mine used to make the noise and the car also started to switch off whilst driving

Could be the ignition switch. Mine used to make the noise and the car also started to switch off whilst driving

Mine haven't yet starter to switch off, hope it stays like that :ph34r:
When you mention ignition switch, do mean the part where we put the key?

Yes. It's a switch fitted to the end of the ignition barrel. There was a recall on these back in the day and mine was changed under that but it failed again. Mine would make buzzing noise when i tried switching it on. The car would start up straight away some times other times it took a few minutes to start. Not sure how you would go about testing the part.

Yes. It's a switch fitted to the end of the ignition barrel. There was a recall on these back in the day and mine was changed under that but it failed again. Mine would make buzzing noise when i tried switching it on. The car would start up straight away some times other times it took a few minutes to start. Not sure how you would go about testing the part.

It might be just that. Guess I have no right to the recall anymore, and even if I had, being in Portugal makes thing even worse :(
Well, I will leave it as it is until it starts to give some problems, then I will worry about it.

BTW, do you know where I can find any info about that recall?

I was searching on Google whilst trying to find some info on the switch. That's where I seen it. Then I asked the previous owner who had the car from new and he said it had been done once. I'll see if I've got any paper work for it.