What's new

Can I top up 0w30 with 5w30?

Economic

Members
Reaction score
Car
54 plate 2.2 CTDI ex
Hi all.

Did my first oil change today. I waited until for about 10 minutes after dripping started (when draining). Edit-just realised I forgot to open the oil intake cap, but I did open (but not remove) the oil filter cap.

I then removed the axle stands.

Now, I had a 5l and a 1l of 0w30. I emptied the 5l then checked the dipstick. It was halfway between the dots. I put half the 1l bottle and checked the dipstick. it was 3/4 of the way there. I then decided to pack everything up (and top up after a drive I had later today).

I emptied the drained oil into the 5l tub and expected it to overflow but the tub took everything in and didn't go over the 5l marker on the tub. I thought I would have just under 5.9l in my tray, I did not think that 900ml would stay on the bearings etc.

Anyway, I popped inside to wash my hands. reading online i was told that I should start the car to make sure oil light goes out.

50 minutes later I start the car and the oil light functions as normal. I drive 10metres (reposition car) and check the dipstick. Lo and behold the oil level is below the minimum! I emptied the rest of my 0w30 (500ml).

I haven't checked the dipstick but I know it's 1l between maximum and minimum.

Question:
I have 500ml of 5w30 lying around. Can I top my oil up with that? or should I buy 1l of 0w30?

Edit: I also have what looks like 1l of "Magnatec Lubricant" in the boot which has been there since I bought the car. the bottle is not labelled but it's in a honda-sponsored zip bag with a paper oil funnel, gloves and wipes. Is that oil? Can I top up with that despite not knowing the viscosity?

Thanks.

Another edit-just checked and no oil leaks on the floor.

I would wait, you have now put 6 litres into the engine from my understanding?
That is about 100ml over what you would normally have for a complete fill.
Did you do the filter as well or just the oil change?

The reason I ask is that when you start and run the engine the oil is pulled up along all the passageways in the engine/turbo etc, and it takes a while to settle back into the sump where the dipstick is located.

Leave the car for 30 minutes and see where the oil level is at that point,
If you have put 6 litres in then the oil level should be at the top mark on the dipstick ***uming the car is level.

Thanks. Yes, I did the filter too. It has now been 5 hours including 2 separate 30 minute drives, both with no oil light. I will check the dipstick again before my next 30 minute drive tonight.

You are right, I have put 6litres in so really the dipstick should be over the maximum indicator. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't push the dipstick inside the hole deep enough... I tested twice... Stranger things have happened... Will update soon.

Agree with Bounder, wait and check again.

In answer to the original question really you shouldn’t mix different grades of oil but given that it’s probably a tiny amount and as they’re both fully synthetic then you’re probably ok

Edit: I also have what looks like 1l of "Magnatec Lubricant" in the boot which has been there since I bought the car. the bottle is not labelled but it's in a honda-sponsored zip bag with a paper oil funnel, gloves and wipes. Is that oil? Can I top up with that despite not knowing the viscosity?

If you don't know what it is don't use it. Replace it with the correct oil if you think you need to carry some around with you. I don't personally :)

stellamon said:

If you don't know what it is don't use it. Replace it with the correct oil if you think you need to carry some around with you. I don't personally :)
I thought it was a standard add-on item. I might as well chuck it away then. No point carrying extra baggage and it taking up valuable space.

So the dipstick was at 75% before my journey and is now at 40% after my journey.

Very strange.

Check the level regularly for a few days, it shouldn't change much at all really, if it keeps going down quickly there's a problem.

I think those top up packs were a Honda accessory item that came with some oil IIRC.
I'd feel safe using it, a 1 litre is always handy and the little paper funnel avoids making a mess.
Regarding the oil level change sometimes you can get an incorrect reading if there is a bubble at the dipstick point, I always wipe dip and wipe and dip again, just to be sure.

Still at 40% after a few journeys. Will post if it changes unless you guys think I should top up now.

Sounds good, seems to have settled down now. I like my level to be just above halfway between the two marks, about 60% when cold.