What's new

Can you recommend a large, safe, weatherproof "Roof Box" for Honda Accord Estate (8th Gen)?

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hello

Do you have any recommendations for large Roof Boxes (i.e. container that sits on your roof rails), for a Honda Accord - 8th Generation estate?

Must be safe and if possible keep out the rain and be lockable.
Being reasonably aerodynamic too would be a nice bonus...

Many thanks

J

Last edited:
Halfords Exodus are good, Thule and Karrite also good. What size do you need? They come in square and long versions for skis and long cargo.

TBH, I don't really know what I'm going to put into it, as I shall be moving house & semi-"of no fixed abode".

So the larger the better. It would be nice if was reasonably smart-looking & reasonably aerodynamic/quiet.
I think I prefer a matt/silk finish rather high gloss.

But I don't want to spend more than I have to. I'm hoping to spend not much more than say £400 max.

Fwiw, it seems Halfords have rebranded "Exodus" as now being called "Advanced".
"Exodus becomes Halfords Advanced"
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/advice/exodus-becomes-halfords-advanced.html

How's about this one:
"KAMEI Husky 510 matt black DuoLift roof box no. KM448 (K)"

Source: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/r...ox_no_km448_k_/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure7y0A6
It seems to be very well reviewed by roofbox.co.uk... and a 6 year guarantee sounds good.
Autoexpress also liked it (in 2020).
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/86327/kamei-510

I don't really know anything about car roof boxes. Any idea what accessories I would need?
e.g. Do I have to buy special roof bars going across the raised roof rails that are build into the car already?
If so should they be Aluminium or Steel... ?
and "Through" or "Flush"...?

It looks like the bars themselves can get darned expensive!

J

Steel bars are strongest but alloy are usually quieter.
I used Thule Square bars for years and they gave zero problems. But I recently got some Thule Wingbar Evo and they are a lot quieter.
Atera Signo RT look to be the best value of these type but to be honest a roofbox will be noiser than any roofrack ever made.
I'd look out for some second hand Thule 122-127cm and a 757 footpack which will fit your roofrails.

I have the KAMEI and really like it. Great for family camping trips. Had a Thule which was also good but became too small.
F8092AAE-D3DB-4551-AA4D-7E76E732417E.jpeg
0BC8E104-51A2-49FD-9C3F-14D5B8675821.jpeg

I have the KAMEI and really like it. Great for family camping trips. Had a Thule which was also good but became too small.
View attachment 786
View attachment 787

Yes, I have now bought
A) KAMEI Husky 510 matt black DuoLift roof box, KM448 (K)
B) CRUZ (35) 128cm aluminium bars (2) Airo DARK R 128, 925-795

The roof box broadly excellent. Really convenient that it can open on both sides. Also good (crucial!) to have the internal straps to hold stuff down.
The only down-side is that it the plastic is a bit weaker than I had expected, so don't rest any significant weight on the sides when putting stuff in. Seems fine when shut.
Also the top doesn't open quite as far as I would have liked.

The roof bar also seems fine, although it does sometimes make gentle flute noises at 60 - 70MPH. But my Honda Accord is still getting about 48MPG on the motorway so I can't really complain.

But these are nit-picking details. Overall I'm extremely please with it. I think it looks very smart & it is incredibly useful.

J
J

PS It will be interesting to see how well it ages...