What's new

Can't move gear lever on Automatic

Uncle_Gravy

Members
Reaction score
Car
09 Accord CU2 Manual
Its been a while since i've been on here, since I've gone and bought myself a 3.0 Z4, We still have the Accord but now we have a problem with not being able to select a gear on the automatic, Press down on the Brake pedal, can't move the lever down, also the brake lights don't come on, But I don't think its fuse since its an intermittent thing and when the brake lights come on you can then select gear.

I had a look at the brake pedal and see the little sensor, its very loose and wobbly when I touch it so not sure if that's something to do with it, I haven't checked the fuse since the brake lights still work, so i'm thinking its this sensor.

This is an intermittent fault that's now gradually gotten worse so I think its time to fix it.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Update

Not fuse, just checked.

On top of the gear selector console, to the left of the "gate" is there a slot? if so insert your ignition key and then remove start engine and try again engaging gears. Not sure what car you have maybe this will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDtqQ5MGd0

I would suspect the brake pedal sensor switch as brake lights do not come on as well that and the gearbox relay look for signal from brake pedal switch

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

It would be nice if the op could post an update a lot seem so to sign up just to ask a question and then never post back with update or solution.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

LOL you know what I completely forgot about this thread and I'm deeeeeeeply sorry (2 years later xDDD)

It was the sensor on the brake pedal, It got to the stage where it stopped working completely, meaning no brake lights and not being able to use the gear selector unless you remove the little clip next to the lever to bypass it by shoving something long into it and pressing it down while trying to move the lever.

£10 later and it solved the issue and the cruise control works again cause that worked intermittently.

Again I'm really sorry for the late response for those wondering, If it wasn't for the fact I decided to click my name to see previous posts I wouldn't realise this was here as I simply forgot.

Though I am looking to become a proper Accord owner in the form of either a 7th or 8th Gen 2.4, kinda leaning more towards the 8th gen now.

If you're after a 2.4 Accord definitely get the 8th gen .....I wish I had waited LOL

The more I look at them, the more I'm wanting one, I did/still have my heart set on a 7th gen type s but finding a low mileage manual car is becoming rarer by the day and as cheap buy especially with a littlebo flash they're very appealing cars for the younger man :D

Better off with K24Z3 every time, the KxxA engines were their initial stab with conservative cams in stock form.

I'm hoping the extra weight of the car doesn't make it as slow as I'm thinking it would be.

I've seen the CL9 can be capable of 7s or less 0-60 from Littlebo's reflash, I'm hoping the CU2 would be similar performance after a tune, coming from a 3.0i Z4 I know very well a comfortable cruiser such as the Accord will not be on pace of one but I don't want to sacrifice too much performance.

Just had a gander at Brett's car in the members car section, and I love the little details he's added to the bodywork, Honda have done a great job with the look of the 8th Gen shame they've stopped the Accord altogether.

Weight difference about same as difference between a slim woman driver and a fat-bloke driver, or about half a tank of fuel.

7s on map only and nothing else, yep over a cliff.

The K24Z3 has better cams and a better map. If one wants to stick headers onto an engine, start with the engine that has the cams.

Any options to keep an eye out for when looking? I haven't checked the spec list for the EX but I'm ***uming it comes with a lot of things as standard but I just wanna know if there is something that was optional that's worth trying to get, Hoping the premium sound that comes with the Subwoofer is standard on the EX as that'll make searching a little easier (I like my bass), if I'm lucky hopefully I can get one that's had the Type S? Lip kit done.

freddofrog said:
Weight difference about same as difference between a slim woman driver and a fat-bloke driver, or about half a tank of fuel.

7s on map only and nothing else, yep over a cliff.

The K24Z3 has better cams and a better map. If one wants to stick headers onto an engine, start with the engine that has the cams.
Could always strip out the upholstery, 14 inch rims, forego breakfast and maybe nitrous.