What's new

Can't shift into reverse

Crazy Danish

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord CN2
Hi all,

It appears that after an evasive maneuver today requiring harsh gear shifting that I've lost the use of my reverse gear and the forward gears are incredibly stiff to shift into!

Any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix the problem? Tried all the local garages that they're unavailable until mid next week!

Background:
This wasn't immediately apparent as I had just joined the slip road onto the motorway and was cruising in 5th for a good hour without the need to change. Eventually coming off the motorway, I slow down to the junction lights and to my surprise, I cant get into either 1st or 2nd gear. Even the remaining gears were very stiff to shift between. I manage to limp off the road using only 3rd and pull over.

The application of some brute force to the stick in the direction of the missing gears succeed in loosening the transmission enough to engage all 5 forward gears.... just the forward gears. Enough to get her home and me on the boards!

P.s. My accord has been suffering from gradually stiffening transmission (manual) which I'd been hoping to tackle at it's next service by replacing the transmission fluid. Suffice to say, I haven't gotten there yet! ;)

Ta!

I had a similar problem with a 1995 1.7td cavalier back in 2006,, turned out to be layshaft and worn clutch, cost 300 to fix, owned and sold the car within 2 weeks, lol.

I would say clutch i replaced my clutch at 117k and it felt stiff and reverse was hard to get into some times. Since the clutch changes the gears now is easier. Its night and day diffrence

How does the clutch pedal feel? Spongy, heavy,light?

Can you change gears OK when the engine is off?

Your clutch if fried my friend