What's new

Car alarm going crazy now and again

AnthonyGoodwin

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th gen 2.2 iCTDi ex
Hi all, I wanted to ask this question as this problem is driving me nuts and I can't seem to pin point the root cause, if anyone can resolve this I would be very grateful. I have an Accord iCTDi 2.2 Executive 2008 model with the factory installed alarm which, up until a few months back has been faultless and an awesome car. I took it in to the Honda dealer (reluctantly) for some recall work on a passenger side air bag, up to that point the car was perfect then the HFT did not work and the alarm has decided to go off randomly for no apparent reason. I mentioned to the dealer that since their work on replacing the air bag these faults have developed but unsurprisingly they told me it has nothing to do with them and I have to bring the car in for a full diagnostics. Having investigated the issue and tested the battery and alternator it became apparent the battery wasn't holding full charge and was duff which is a pretty common cause of the alarm playing up, I replaced the battery and it was fine for a few weeks. The other morning I got woken up at by the alarm going off randomly for about 15 mints with pauses in between then it settled down, I got up later than morning for work and when I unlocked the car the alarm when absolutely nuts and I couldn't turn it off, it even stayed on while I was driving it ! This lasted about 15 minutes then it went off on it's own. I want to reiterate than the car was perfect in every way with not a hint of any problems with the car up until Honda did their bit on it, I'm not pointing the finger but it just seems too coincidental. Can anyone please provide any solutions or insight into exactly why this is happening ? One thing worth mentioning is that I used the car daily for work and the alarm was fine, I parked up on the drive from around Saturday afternoon and didn't use it until work again on the Monday - only a day and a half of not using the car, surely this extremely short space of time would not allow any significant battery drain which would send the alarm haywire ? Plus as I mentioned the battery is brand new and less than a month old. Any useful information would be great as I am completely perplexed, thanks to all, Anthony.

Better late than never. :) Sounds like the duff HFT module is draining the battery. Do a search on this forum on how to remove it.