What's new

Car Burning Oil

andy.lane1

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 1.8 SE Facelift
Hi Guys.

Hopefully I can get some help with this one. As some of you know I was having some oil leak issues in Jan which had to be sorted at the main dealer. Since Jan I have not had a bother with the car at all. No oil leak or anything else for that matter. I went to check the oil today (i know quite remiss of me. should have been doing it at least once a month) and there was not even enough oil to wet the dipstick. Where did it all go? it took about 3 liters to top up to the max mark. As I said there is no leak. the car is not burning oil that I know of. no exhaust smoke or the like. no extra noises from parts not being lubricated enough. I have noticed it is quite thirsty on petrol in city traffic but OK on motorways. I know some engines burn oil in their day to day operation but to burn enough in 4 months to not even wet the dipstick. I am completely baffled. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? All your help is really appreciated.

Andy

Did you check the oil level when you picked it up from the main dealer? If not, did they tell you they had topped it up after fixing the leak?

Matt

id be interested in other peoples views on this aswell,as im in the same boat,a couple of weeks after i bought my accord,i checked my oil,and there was a tiny bit on the end of dipstick,i hope i caught in time,as the car seems ok now,only i know it burns oil and drinks petrol,i top the oil up every 2-3 weeks,my mpg is bad, iget 22mpg,its a 1.9 vtec 00 and it has 126,000 miles on her i do mostly short trips in the car,and now my rear main seal is gone aswell,its only weaping oil,so im going to try castrol high mileage and see how i get on,and is this saying true,that all hondas burn oil

Hi Guys. thanks for getting back to me. I have done 5000 miles since the issue in January. And no they did not top the oil up. I drove home from the main dealer and it was just above the min mark. they are a reputable main dealer as well. but they did not check the oil level on a car that they had just replaced all the oil seals on. what can I say, Irish dealers. I had to top it up that day. I put 10W40 in. Hope this helps.

Again thanks Guys

Andy