What's new

Catalytic Converter

ish14

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 04
Hi All,

I had the Catalytic converter stolen from my Accord (04 Ex) last weekend in London.

I initially went to claim through Insurance however it's been over a week and they still haven't found a garage to carry out the repair. Either the job is too small for them or they can't source the part. I can't wait weeks for my car to be fixed so I decided to tell the Insurance company to cancel the claim and that I would repair myself.

I have read some posts on here which have been really useful however I am still unclear on a couple of things. I'm on a tight budget so looking to spend as little as possible on this.

I found this part via ebay. It says it will fit my Accord just wanted to check with you all whether this will be sufficient:

I mean the part is £68, what are the chances these degens will try again, how much money would they make off a part like this?

Some posts suggest that its not just the Cat that needs replacing, that there are a couple of o2 sensors as well. Can someone please clarify if I need to buy these also?

Where is the Cat located under the car? I'm just thinking ahead on how to park the car to make it as difficult as possible for these scum when they try coming again. I was planning to sell the car by next Aug due to the ULEZ expansion however with this happening it just makes sense for me to sell as soon as the repair is done. I just want to make sure it doesn't get stolen again before I sell. Oh and if anyone is interested in buying feel free to give me a shout lool.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

ish14

Hi,

Ok so a bit of an update.

I have managed to take a look under my car and can see exactly where the Cat should belong. It looks like the exhaust front down pipe won't need replacing as they've made the cut on the cat side if that makes sense.

Apparently aftermarket Cats are recommended as the scum usually don't bother with these so I'm looking to get the cheapest one off eBay.

Will need to replace the lambda sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) which was cut off with the cat. This should be fine as plenty of aftermarket ones available and relatively cheap.

The middle section of the exhaust will need repair/replacing. The problem I am facing is I can't seem to find this section on its own to buy, there are only seem to be full exhausts sets to purchase which are too expensive. Does anyone know the diameter of the middle section exhaust pipe on an Accord 2.0 auto mk7? Is the diameter of the pipe the same regardless of whether the car is petrol or diesel? My thinking is I can buy a mid section for a diesel (as below) and then have my mechanic cut off the necessary length to then join the old and new pipe via a pipe joiner.

Is this possible?

ECP do have the below for sale, of which I'm ***uming is what I need based on the product name but not 100% sure as there are no images. Either way I'm looking for something cheaper than this ideally.

Thanks in advance.

Ish