What's new

CEL - Speedo went off while driving

Weekesey

Reaction score
Car
03 Accord Type S
Hey all,

I've not been around since the old THAOC days, guess most people found their way on here.......

Wondered if anyone has had this issue before;

A couple of times over the last few weeks, my head unit (after market Alpine, been in for 2 years) powered off and came back on again. Then yesterday, the Alpine switched off but also the entire instrument binnacle (speedo) went off with it. When it came back on about 1 second later, the VSA and Air Bag came on like I had just switched the ignition on. The car keeps running while this happens, no loss of power or anything. It did this a couple more times in a 20 minute period. I parked up for the day, when I came back later the CEL stayed on after starting the engine but the speedo has not gone off since.

Any ideas before I give Honda £85 to read the CEL? If only I could use a paper clip to read the CEL like in my old Civic, those were the days...............

Cheers

to be honest you need to get the fault codes otherwise were just guessing

why not buy your own reader and read the codes? would be cheaper.

Thanks gents, thought it was worth a post on the off chance. Did consider buying one but the garage is full of stuff I've only used once!

About the power off, it could be an electric problem. Check the fuses.
The CEL lights are probably just a consequence.

Hey all,

I've not been around since the old THAOC days, guess most people found their way on here.......

Wondered if anyone has had this issue before;

A couple of times over the last few weeks, my head unit (after market Alpine, been in for 2 years) powered off and came back on again. Then yesterday, the Alpine switched off but also the entire instrument binnacle (speedo) went off with it. When it came back on about 1 second later, the VSA and Air Bag came on like I had just switched the ignition on. The car keeps running while this happens, no loss of power or anything. It did this a couple more times in a 20 minute period. I parked up for the day, when I came back later the CEL stayed on after starting the engine but the speedo has not gone off since.

Any ideas before I give Honda £85 to read the CEL? If only I could use a paper clip to read the CEL like in my old Civic, those were the days...............

Cheers

I have the same problem see post: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3704-dash-instruments-and-lights-all-dead/page__pid__45279#entry45279

for ideas on the fix.