What's new

Chain Gambles

2taol

Members
Reaction score
Car
'11 Accord 2.2 ES GT
Hi All,

Been lurking for a while and joined last week.

I have a 04 2.2 with 261k on the clock with almost
everything [brake discs, Clutch, Timing Chain] original.

I was just wondering are there many out there still
running original timing chains with similar mileage?

I was told before that they are "good for the life of the engine"

thanks in advance

Original brake discs at 261???

Must be wafer thin?

Given what the car's worth, I'd continue to take my chances in your position.

It's a grenade with the pin pulled, but probably not worth throwing the money at it.

Run it till it implodes.

I presume that, being in Ireland (Eire), 261k is 261k km, which is 162k miles ?

So if the clutch really is original, that must be about to go soon anyway.

If driven right and serviced correctly then yes, I believe there are plenty of 2.2's that are still on original clutch and chain. Talk to Vtecaccord on the Irish forum Honda-haven.com. I believe his is still going strong.

And we only switched over to kilometers in 2005, so it's possible the 04 is in miles.

thanks for the replies, yup 261,000 miles. thanks mr.honda, ill check out your suggestion. Re. The discs, yea they must be inside the limit and the last nct (mot) didnt pick up on it. Might have to look out for cheap discs.

Sent from my X5pro using Tapatalk

I wouldn't buy cheap discs, good ones Brembo are only €90 a pair.
Tourers are big heavy cars and it pays to buy good brake components.

Bounder said:
I wouldn't buy cheap discs, good ones Brembo are only €90 a pair.
Tourers are big heavy cars and it pays to buy good brake components.
thanks bounder, those brembos sound good value all right. i dont have the tourer though. Will price around.

I can't see any car doing 261,000 miles on one clutch, unless it's been driving up and down a motorway for 200,000 miles. A previous owner must have had a clutch change that you don't know about, and possibly discs as well.

Chains must be well stretched as well.

Check Mister-Auto, the diesel saloons use the same size discs as the tourer, 300mm , they are 90 +7P+P from that site.

The only one I find difficult to believe is the discs.

Honda-haven is a private forum so I can't provide the link but last time I read about vtecaccords' Accord, it was over 200,000 miles, but now that I think of it, he did say the chain was rattling for a while. I haven't seen an update since.

freddofrog said:
I can't see any car doing 261,000 miles on one clutch, unless it's been driving up and down a motorway for 200,000 miles. A previous owner must have had a clutch change that you don't know about, and possibly discs as well.

Chains must be well stretched as well.
i bought the car with 89,000 miles on the clock, it was originally registered in the u.k ! ill get a pic of the discs today!

thanks for the links lads, i will be checking them out!

here is an image of the disc :ph34r:

disc.jpg

At least they're wearing flat.

I've a tourer with 207k miles and the new chains are sitting in the boot for when I can pluck up the courage(and time) to pull it apart.
It's really noisy now.
The amount of these that have been broken for chain disaster over here in Northern Ireland is huge.

Don't take the gamble if it's noisy.

I bought a noisy one and the bits to repair it. Stupidly thought I'd drive it for a week before I changed the chains at the weekend.

Snapped the pump chain on the Friday afternoon.

The chains went in the new motor I bought for it instead.