What's new

Changing Accord Sport 1.8 STEERING WHEEL!

KyleF18Martin

Members
Reaction score
Car
'02 Accord 1.8 Sport
The time has come to change my steering wheel, but as all modern car do, it has a lovely airbag within <_< . I'd like to change it for an aftermarket one (personal taste etc). But im afraid the airbag will just go pop in my face when i try to do so.. :( Ive heard you can just take the battery off and change it, but then ive also heard most modern hondas come with capacitors inside the steering wheel which store energy for around 48 hours, :wacko: even so thats a long time without using the car.

So, advice anybody? it would be greatly appreciated! B)

The cars a 02 Reg Accord sport 1.8 vtec with original steering wheel with the two horns one either side if that helps!

Thanks in advance ! :D :D :D

Unplug the battery and simply disconnect the airbag, simple! ;)

BlueVTEC said:
Unplug the battery and simply disconnect the airbag, simple! ;)
is it true they have capacitors within the steering as is the case with most modern hondas? Surely I would have to wait a while for the airbag to discharge once ive disconnected the battery also? I just dont fancy a face full of airbag and a trip to a+e.. haha :)

KyleMartin said:
is it true they have capacitors within the steering as is the case with most modern hondas? Surely I would have to wait a while for the airbag to discharge once ive disconnected the battery also? I just dont fancy a face full of airbag and a trip to a+e.. haha :)
Nah, just unplug the battery first. :p

Hi,

Just to add my 2cents, I've had no problems with airbags on steering wheels providing you follow the method being stated here - I've fitted a DC5 Type R steering wheel to my old Civic Coupe (01-03) Felt amazing and not so mushy lol!

In regards to the Accord, I have the same one as yours & plan to swap over the wheel from the Accord Type R, it's a straight swap as they are practically the same cars. The Momo wheel from the Type R feels alot better & I must say looks amazing too! It's common for the Type R to come with a red H on wheel, however I'm after the rarer yellow H which came on the Euro R (CL1) which looks alot less mediocre (every little helps!)

Thanks for reading