What's new

changing brake pads

babak

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord I-CTDI
Its about time for me to change my front brake pads as they are getting quite low. I was reading a bit on EBC Greenstuff a while ago and a lot of people seem happier with them compared to Honda OEM.

Any advice? I think I also might need to change the discs as they have a bit of a groove so right now my options are:

EBC Discs/Pad combo
OEM Discs/EBC Pads
OEM Both

Also are the EBC Greenstuff worth it or are the Blackstuff (EBC OEM replacement) fine for normal road use with a hint of aggressive driving sometimes.?

I was in the same situation as you but ended up just getting drilled and grooved discs. Thought if im changing them anyway might as well just spend a lil bit bit more for the braking benefits. EBC yellowstuff pads have been recommended by alot of people as well as the ferodo ds2500. This time round im trying Brembo pads.

Stay away from EBC!! there horse S***, I had a bad time with these once they umm how can i put it crumbled and ive never been back since. So i thought id try Ferodo DS2500 and there amazing and im on my second set now id highly recommend these all day long

I had 3 sets of ebc discs on my old Accord, the first two warped and eventually had to drive to Northampton to get ebc to change them for free as their poor quality was costing me a fortune in labour. Eventually they worked, but would never go ebc again.

Just put some Ds2500's on the ATR and they are awesome. A bit pricey, but worth it, work straight from cold too.

I had 3 sets of ebc discs on my old Accord, the first two warped and eventually had to drive to Northampton to get ebc to change them for free as their poor quality was costing me a fortune in labour. Eventually they worked, but would never go ebc again.

Just put some Ds2500's on the ATR and they are awesome. A bit pricey, but worth it, work straight from cold too.

Couldnt Agree more!!

I've had EBC discs and pads before and can only say good things about them and I can get my discs hotter than most people who claim to be late brakers. It is true that they did have an issue after a design change which caused a lot of people problems but that was about 8 years ago now and the problem was quickly rectified. I wouldn't have any issue about putting them on my car again and plan to in the very near future.

Other than honda, I would recommend blank discs and mintex for stock like for like.

Had ebc on various cars and though some setups were ok generally They caused all sorts of problems with warping even after having the discs cut on a lath and pads crumbling. If you want a fast road setup avoid ebc imo.

I wouldn't bother with EBC greenstuff pads <shudder. they are cheap for a reason>. If you want to stick with EBC, spend a little more for the yellowstuff which is a decent value / performance (few guys I know use them and all been fairly positive). Personally, I alway use OEM pads on my road car, but I won't compromise for my track car and so only use Pagids.

I wouldn't bother with EBC greenstuff pads <shudder. they are cheap for a reason>. If you want to stick with EBC, spend a little more for the yellowstuff which is a decent value / performance (few guys I know use them and all been fairly positive). Personally, I alway use OEM pads on my road car, but I won't compromise for my track car and so only use Pagids.
Agree - I fitted Pagid front discs & pads to wifey's MR2 roadster just a few months ago. Weren't particularly expensive but seem excellent, even when I'm driving it as though it's a track car! Got them from EuroCarParts (make sure you find a discount code somewhere for at least 30% off - if necessary you can PM me & I'll check my messages from them).

I've had ebc blackstuff front pads on for a year now with no problems and the same performance as what were on before (don't know what it was - they were on when I got the car). It doesn't get hammered much so they are fine, although, like many, I'd like more stopping power so might go for something else next time. Just fitted blackstuff pads and discs to the rear and they are fine too after a bit of bedding in.

Fitted ultimax discs and greenstuff pads on the rear and will do the same when front needs doing . Only had them on for 2 months but am very pleased . The discs come painted all black so once bedded in only metal showing is where it's needed by the pads therefore none of that horrible rust !

Guys I had EBC groved and slotted with green stuff pads on my 7th gen.
They looked great but was very poor and suffered brake fade.
I went back to stock and nether looked back

Thanks for the replies. Ive decided to stick to OEM discs and pads for now as noone seems to have complaints about them and i dont do any track days to warrant a real braking force upgrade.