What's new

Charge Light Issues

Dave CL9

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 Type-S CL9
Evening folks - can anyone help please? My CL9 needed a new alternator last week - bearing went (originally thought it was my my aircon compressor but on investigation was alternator) and trusted local independent Honda place replaced with a recon unit. Within 10 miles I was getting intermittent battery light.. took car back and they checked the wiring over - all good. Left garage to drive home, light flashes on again ... call the garage, they order me another recon alternator. It arrived today, was fitted and... you guessed, flashing battery light again. Alternator is charging battery (14v) and light stays off most of the time, but intermittent flashing remains. Cannot see any link to movement/revs/load etc. and this never occurred with the old alternator.

Any ideas please?

could it be a bad earth somewhere? was it flashing before the alternator change?

What condition is your battery in as if its not a bad earth like Salim said it might be a damaged cell.

What condition is your battery in as if its not a bad earth like Salim said it might be a damaged cell.

Battery is almost new - no more than 6 months old. Also there was no issue before alternator was changed...

Update today.... problem seems to not occur if my headlights are on! I drove appx 300 miles today and only saw my charge light flicker when the rain stopped for part of the journey and I turned them off.... Interesting.
2 thoughts:

is it an earth issue (as already suggested) and the headlight circuit is completing the earth...
and.. when the lights are on, the idle does not seem to drop so low as when they are off (ECU keeping revs up when alternator loaded?) Flicker seems to occur when throttle is closed and engine has dropped to idle.

It's going back to the garage Monday for a wiring check.. so hopefully they'll find something. In the meantime, if you see a Graphite Grey CL9 on coilies, with its headlights on in the sunshine, give me a wave!! :)

I can only think of it being a bad connection or damaged battery was it drained at any point prior to new alternator and what was wrong with the alternator, did it suddenly pack in or did the bearing/clutch fail?

If its 6months old get it changed under warranty? rule one thing out.

Just re-read your op and you say bearing went- duh lol.

I would try a new battery under warranty if you can or at least a overnight charge if you have a charger.