What's new

cheap parking aids and reverse cameras..any good?

ericuk

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-ctdi exec
I've seen steelmate kits with 8 sensors, digi display and a sensor that activates front parking aids when driving below 6mph for £200. I ***ume these are quality kits as they are popular amongst fitters.

Then I've seen kits of similar spec on amazon for about £36. Are they any good? Are they a false economy?

Finally, reverse cams on amazon. They're about £20. Are they easy to fit and any good?

Thanks

Eric vin diesel

dolphin sensors, I've got them on my car for over three years,my wife's car nearly year and my friends car two years, no problems at all, wide range of colours and good quality ;-)

where can I buy them and how much should I expect to pay buddy?

brodziu said:
dolphin sensors, I've got them on my car for over three years,my wife's car nearly year and my friends car two years, no problems at all, wide range of colours and good quality ;-)
Yeah, +1 on this. I too fitted the Dolphin sensors, go with the Micro type. You can get them here:

http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/

Thanks for the info. has anyone got a reverse camera with guidelines they can recommend? My mate called them lady lines and laughed at my ability to park lol

ericuk said:
Thanks for the info. has anyone got a reverse camera with guidelines they can recommend? My mate called them lady lines and laughed at my ability to park lol
Had mine installed this week. Search for the other 'reverse camera' topic for recommendations from a few members ;)

I've not had much success with the search function :( does anyone know if the system is PAL or NTSC? the question gets asked frequently but never answered!

Also I'm looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baytter-Camera-License-Waterproof-Parking/dp/B00DQK8MI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400069870&sr=8-1&keywords=parking+camera+license+plate#productDescription

Can anyone recommend these? They have mirror image and 'lady lines' lol They look easy to install obviously, but what about getting the wiring into the car? Thanks in advance!

Mine is almost the same. Again in the reg plate, but different model http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wired-Car-Rearview-Camera-Parking-camera-Shock-proof-Night-vision-Waterproof-Rear-View-camera-connect-to/513149088.html
My research showed that in Europe is PAL, so I have ordered PAL and it works ( colorful picture ). Not very easy or very hard to DIY, but I don't have time to do it.
So mine was installed by a professional.
Another thing I can say is to search for CCD , not CMOS. Just better quality ( not very sure about it :) )

So if you have 7gen with the navi, you will be able to install it yourself ( there is a topic in this forum how to do it ).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

ericuk said:
I've not had much success with the search function :( does anyone know if the system is PAL or NTSC? the question gets asked frequently but never answered!

Also I'm looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baytter-Camera-License-Waterproof-Parking/dp/B00DQK8MI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400069870&sr=8-1&keywords=parking+camera+license+plate#productDescription

Can anyone recommend these? They have mirror image and 'lady lines' lol They look easy to install obviously, but what about getting the wiring into the car? Thanks in advance!
I've been told you need NTSC. So I bought a NTSC and it works perfect!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I brought one tonight that is Pal... I hope it works! I also hope it mirrors the signal. It does have lady lines :) £22

I also brought front and rear parking sensors for £30.

Fingers crossed they are good. I will post feedback once everything is installed.

Can anyone direct me to where I can get a cable that plugs into the back of the DVD and connects to the camera? Any advice or guides for parking sensor and camera fitting would be most gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Quick update. With help, the camera is fitted. Parking guidlines, clear picture that seems good at night from what I've seen. The LEDs that illuminate the number plate offer more rear light and look pretty cool.

The parking sensors on the other hand, the bumper has metal behind it and had to be drilled. Does anyone know if the metal will effect the sensors in any way? The power from the reverse light is too weak because of the camera drawing power and requires a relay switch. The sensors fitted also appear to be over sensitive to things from the side.