What's new

"Check Engine Oil Level" randomly coming on

SBC240Z

Reaction score
Car
2009 ES GT Tourer
To be clear this is the orange check engine oil level light message with the image of waves beneath an oil can (without the !).

This seems to only happen on longer drives. I've had it happen at 30 min, 25 min, 1hr, and 1.5hrs. I have also been able to drive longer than this without it happening. It seems to happen at random times and is not ***ociated with braking, inclines or sharp turns. IIRC it's always smooth, flat cruising. Each time I pull over, turn the car off and immediately check the oil (just to verify there's oil in the pan and to see if there's any drain back issue) then I let it sit a minute or two and check again and it's always at 3/4 full to full

I restart the car and light is gone for the rest of the drive. I have not had it reappear twice in the same day.

I have pulled the sensor cover and check the plug for security and moisture.

I have changed the oil and filter

I have checked for obvious wire chafing and security of grounds

I've stuck a borescope into the oil pan to inspect for sludge covering the sensor but it was surprisingly clean inside

I've not seen anything similar on this forum but I saw on the civic forums where they had a similar issue that was fixed by Honda with a software update. I called the local Honda dealership and asked about this but they said they had never heard of any such issue or software update.

Never seen this issue before, or even a mention of a check oil light issue on an idtec. I note from your other thread that the car has had a replacement engine, I would bet something hasn’t been fitted correctly. Maybe worth replacing the sensor if it hasn’t been done yet.

Yeah I'll probably end up having to throw a sensor at it. They're pretty pricey for what they are so I'll probably try and get a second hand part.

I would agree with something being fitted incorrectly if it wasn't such an intermittent problem. I may go ahead and drain the oil and pull the sensor to inspect.